2019 Code of Alabama
Title 28 - Intoxicating Liquor, Malt Beverages and Wine.
Chapter 9 - Business Relations Between Wholesalers and Suppliers of Beer.
Section 28-9-2 - Definitions.
(a) The following words or phrases, or the plural thereof, whenever they appear in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section:
(1) AGREEMENT. Any agreement between a wholesaler and a supplier, whether oral or written, whereby a wholesaler is granted the right to purchase and sell a brand or brands of beer sold by a supplier.
(2) ANCILLARY BUSINESS. A business owned by a wholesaler, by a substantial stockholder of a wholesaler, or by a substantial partner of a wholesaler the primary business of which is directly related to the transporting, storing, or marketing of the brand or brands of beer of a supplier with whom the wholesaler has an agreement; or a business owned by a wholesaler, a substantial stockholder of a wholesaler or a substantial partner of a wholesaler which recycles empty beverage containers.
(3) DESIGNATED MEMBER. The spouse, child, grandchild, parent, brother or sister of a deceased individual who owned an interest, including a controlling interest, in a wholesaler; or any person who inherits the deceased individual's ownership interest in the wholesaler under the terms of the deceased individual's will, or under the laws of intestate succession of this state; or any person who or entity which has otherwise, by designation in writing by the deceased individual, succeeded the deceased individual in the wholesaler's business, or has succeeded to the deceased individual's ownership interest in the wholesaler pursuant to a written contract or instrument; and also includes the appointed and qualified personal representative and the testamentary trustee of a deceased individual owning an ownership interest in a wholesaler. Designated member also includes the person appointed by a court as the guardian or conservator of the property of an incapacitated individual owning an ownership interest in a wholesaler.
(4) GOOD FAITH. Honesty in fact and the observance of reasonable commercial standards of fair dealing in the trade, as defined in and interpreted under the Uniform Commercial Code, Section 7-2-103.
(5) REASONABLE QUALIFICATIONS. The standard of the reasonable criteria established and consistently used by the respective supplier for Alabama wholesalers that entered into, continued or renewed an agreement with the supplier during a period of 24 months prior to the proposed transfer of the wholesaler's business, or for Alabama wholesalers who have changed managers or designated managers during a period of 24 months prior to the proposed change in manager or successor manager of the wholesaler's business.
(6) RETALIATORY ACTION. Includes, but is not limited to, the refusal to continue an agreement, or a material reduction in the quality of service or quantity of products available to a wholesaler under an agreement, which refusal or reduction is not made in good faith.
(7) SALES TERRITORY. An area of exclusive sales responsibility for the brand or brands of beer sold by a supplier as designated by an agreement.
(8) SUBSTANTIAL STOCKHOLDER or SUBSTANTIAL PARTNER. A stockholder of or partner in the wholesaler who owns an interest of 25 percent or more of the partnership or of the capital stock of a corporate wholesaler.
(9) SUPPLIER. A manufacturer or importer of beer licensed by the board.
(10) TRANSFER OF WHOLESALER'S BUSINESS. The voluntary sale, assignment or other transfer of all or control of the business or all or substantially all of the assets of the wholesaler, or all or control of the capital stock of the wholesaler, including without limitation the sale or other transfer of capital stock or assets by merger, consolidation or dissolution, or of the capital stock of the parent corporation, or of the capital stock or beneficial ownership of any other entity owning or controlling the wholesaler.
(11) WHOLESALER. A wholesaler of beer licensed by the board.
(b) Other words and phrases used in this chapter shall have the meanings ascribed to them in Section 28-3-1, as amended, and any acts amendatory thereof, supplementary thereto or substituted therefor, unless the context clearly requires otherwise.(Acts 1988, No. 88-80, p. 87, §2; Acts 1989, No. 89-525, p. 1074, §1.)