2019 Code of Alabama
Title 10A - Alabama Business and Nonprofit Entities Code.
Chapter 5A - Limited Liability Companies.
Article 7 - Dissolution, Winding Up, and Reinstatement.
Section 10A-5A-7.04 - Known claims against dissolved limited liability company.
Notwithstanding Sections 10A-1-9.01 and 10A-1-9.21:
(a) A dissolved limited liability company may dispose of any known claims against it by following the procedures described in subsection (b) at any time after the effective date of the dissolution of the limited liability company.
(b) A dissolved limited liability company may give notice of the dissolution in a record to the holder of any known claim. The notice must:
(1) identify the dissolved limited liability company;
(2) describe the information required to be included in a claim;
(3) provide a mailing address to which the claim is to be sent;
(4) state the deadline, which may not be fewer than 120 days from the effective date of the notice, by which the dissolved limited liability company must receive the claim; and
(5) state that if not sooner barred, the claim will be barred if not received by the deadline.
(c) Unless sooner barred by any other statute limiting actions, a claim against a dissolved limited liability company is barred:
(1) if a claimant who was given notice under subsection (b) does not deliver the claim to the dissolved limited liability company by the deadline; or
(2) if a claimant whose claim was rejected by the dissolved limited liability company does not commence a proceeding to enforce the claim within 90 days from the effective date of the rejection notice.
(d) For purposes of this section, known claim or claim includes unliquidated claims, but does not include a contingent liability that has not matured so that there is no immediate right to bring suit or a claim based on an event occurring after the effective date of dissolution.
(e) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to extend any otherwise applicable statute of limitations.(Act 2014-144, p. 265, §1.)