2018 Code of Alabama
Title 5 - BANKS AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
Chapter 5A - ORGANIZATION AND OPERATION OF BANKS.
Section 5-5A-41 - Payment of deposits made in names of two persons upon death of one; more than two persons with provision for survivorship.
(a) Any deposit heretofore or hereafter made in any bank in the names of two or more persons payable to any of such persons, upon the death of either of said persons, may be paid by the bank to the survivors jointly, irrespective of whether or not:
(1) The form of the deposit or deposit contract contains any provision for survivorship;
(2) The funds deposited were the property of only one said person;
(3) There was at the time of making such deposit any intention on the part of the person making such deposit to vest the other with a present interest therein;
(4) Only one of said persons during their joint lives had the right to withdraw such deposit;
(5) There was any delivery of any bank book, account book, savings account book, certificate of deposit or other writing by the person making such deposit to the other of such persons; or
(6) Any other circumstances.
The bank in which such deposit is made may pay such deposit, or any part thereof or interest thereon, to either of said persons, or if one is dead, to the surviving of them, and such payment shall fully release and discharge the bank from all liability for any payment so made.
(b) The provisions of this section shall apply to savings accounts, checking accounts and certificates of deposit and shall also apply to any deposit made in the names of more than two persons where there is an express written provision for survivorship in the deposit contract.
(c) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prohibit the person making such deposit from withdrawing or collecting the same during his lifetime; nor shall anything contained in this section prohibit any person or persons making a deposit in the names of more than one person from providing for disposition of such deposit and interest thereon in a manner different from that provided above in this section, provided such different manner of disposition is expressly provided for in writing in the deposit contract.(Acts 1980, No. 80-658, §5-5-41.)