2018 Code of Alabama
Title 5 - BANKS AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
Chapter 5A - ORGANIZATION AND OPERATION OF BANKS.
Section 5-5A-18 - Powers of banks generally.
Corporations formed for the purpose of doing business as a bank may:
(1) Discount bills, notes or other evidences of debt;
(2) Receive and pay out deposits, with or without interest, pay checks, and impose charges for any services;
(3) Receive on special deposit money, bullion or foreign coins or bonds or other securities;
(4) Buy and sell foreign and domestic exchanges, gold and silver bullion or foreign coins, bonds, bills of exchange, notes and other negotiable paper;
(5) Lend money on personal security or upon pledges of bonds, stocks or other negotiable securities;
(6) Take and receive security by mortgage, security agreement or otherwise on property, real and personal;
(7) Become trustees for any purpose and be appointed and act as executors, administrators, guardians, receivers, or fiduciaries upon receiving the prior written approval of the superintendent under Section 5-11A-1;
(8) Lease real and personal property upon specific request of a customer, provided such banks must comply with any applicable Alabama laws regulating leasing real property or improvements thereon to others;
(9) Perform computer, management, and travel agency services for others;
(10) Subscribe to the capital stock and become a member of the Federal Reserve System and comply with rules and regulations thereof;
(11) Accept deposits and payments on loans and other obligations as agent for other banks located in this state that are subsidiaries of the same bank holding company. If banks located in this state are affiliates, they may accept deposits and payments on loans and other obligations as agent for each other. Banks acting as agents for other banks under this subsection shall not be deemed branch offices of the banks for which they act. As used in this subsection, banks are "affiliates" if the same person or persons directly or indirectly own or control either a majority of the voting shares or more than 50 percent of the number of shares entitled to elect the directors of both banks; and
(12) Do any business and exercise any powers incident to the business of banks.(Acts 1980, No. 80-658, §5-5-18; Acts 1990, No. 90-217, p. 253.)