2018 Code of Alabama
Title 45 - LOCAL LAWS.
Chapter 2 - BALDWIN COUNTY.
Article 24 - Taxation.
Part 4 - Tax, General.
Division 2 - Alabama Gulf Coast Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Section 45-2-243.21 - Programs; contracts; powers.
(a) The bureau shall conduct programs, including but not limited to, programs of information and publicity designed to attract conventions and tourists to the area. The bureau shall conduct programs in Alabama and elsewhere, and expend its funds in the furtherance of the programs in Alabama and elsewhere.
(b) The bureau may enter into contracts with a person, firm, corporation, or association to carry out the purposes set forth in this subpart. No contract entered into by the bureau shall bind the State of Alabama, a county, or a municipality of the State of Alabama.
(c) The bureau shall have the following powers:
(1) To sue and be sued.
(2) To acquire property, rights, and interest, in property by gift, lease, or purchase.
(3) To have a seal and alter the seal at pleasure.
(4) To appoint officers, agents, employees, and attorneys and fix their compensation.
(5) To make bylaws for the management and regulation of its affairs.
(6) To enter into contracts and execute all instruments necessary or convenient to lease, purchase, and own real or personal property used in furtherance of the purposes for the accomplishment of which the bureau is created.
(7) To accept or receive gifts, bequests and devises.
(8) To borrow money, execute notes, and other evidence of indebtedness which may be required by the lender, and pledge anticipated revenue or income to secure payment of loans.
(9) To do all things necessary or convenient to carry out the powers expressly given herein.
(d) The taxes which the Legislature imposes shall be payable to the bureau and the bureau shall use and apply the proceeds of the taxes for the purposes set forth in subsection (c).(Act 93-706, p. 1352, §2.)