2018 Code of Alabama
Title 30 - MARITAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS.
Chapter 7 - DOMESTIC VIOLENCE SHELTER STANDARDS.
Section 30-7-2 - Minimum standards for domestic violence shelters.
(a) The following minimum standards for domestic violence centers shall be used by the Department of Economic and Community Affairs to determine membership in the coalition or other qualified entity and eligibility for receiving funds administered by the Department of Economic and Community Affairs. Any domestic violence center seeking membership shall meet the following qualifications:
(1) Be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation created for the purpose of operating a domestic violence center; provided, however, it may be affiliated with a larger private organization, but must be a distinct entity with its own corporate structure and budget. All funding and budget issues pertaining to the operation of the domestic violence program shall be reported independently from other activities to the coalition or other qualified entity.
(2) Have as its primary mission the provision of services to victims of domestic violence, as defined in Section 30-5-2.
(3) Provide emergency shelter, counseling services, case management and advocacy, referral, and 24-hour hotline telephone services for domestic violence victims.
(4) Operate its principal place of business or service activity in the state.
(5) Agree to, accept, adopt, and implement the prevailing domestic violence center standards adopted by the department.
(6) Be governed by a board of directors which reflects the community it serves.
(7) Affirm in writing its commitment to the specific and primary purpose of the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence or other qualified entity as stated in membership affiliate agreements.
(b) In the event the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence ceases operations or is otherwise ineligible to receive federal funds for domestic violence programs in this state, the director may designate another qualified entity to fulfill its duties.(Acts 1997, No. 97-411, p. 676, §2; Act 2015-493, §2.)