2018 Code of Alabama
Title 24 - HOUSING.
Chapter 7A - ALABAMA INDIAN HOUSING AUTHORITY.
Section 24-7A-3 - Powers of authority.
The authority may:
(1) Undertake research and studies and analyses of housing needs in the State of Alabama, and the means by which such needs may be met, including data with respect to population and family groups and the distribution thereof according to income groups, the amount and quality of available housing and its distribution according to rental and sales prices, and employment, wage, and other factors affecting the local housing needs and the meeting thereof, and make the results and analyses available to the public and the building, housing, and supply industries.
(2) Enter into contracts with cities, towns, counties, and other housing authorities in the state for the purpose of carrying out this section.
(3) Establish rentals and select tenants in low-income rental housing projects under its jurisdiction.
(4) Issue bonds, notes, and other evidence of indebtedness for the purpose of financing the construction of housing for low-income persons pursuant to Title 24, Code of Federal Regulations Part 905 Indian Housing: Revised Consolidated Program Regulations; Interim Rule.
(5) Obtain, rent, lease, or otherwise obtain from any county, city, or state, properties of the public bodies as are offered for use to the authority for the purpose of providing housing to low-income persons and families in Indian areas.
(6) Enter into contracts and agreements with agents of the federal government for the purpose of purchasing land, acquiring, constructing, renovating, providing streets, utilities, and landscaping grounds for rental and other housing for low-income persons and families in designated Indian areas.
(7) Exercise any additional powers, rights, and functions specified for municipal housing authorities created under Sections 24-1-20 to 24-1-45, inclusive. All laws applicable to housing authorities created under Title 24, for municipalities and the commissioner of the authorities shall be applicable to the authority, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context.
The commission may exercise all appointing and other powers with respect to an Indian Housing Authority that are vested in the chief executive officer and governing body of a municipality under this title, with respect to municipal housing authorities.
Rentals and tenant selection associated with projects of the authority shall be in accordance with this title, with respect to municipal housing authorities.(Acts 1993, No. 93-351, p. 540, §2(c).)