2018 Code of Alabama
Title 16 - EDUCATION.
Chapter 28 - SCHOOL ATTENDANCE.
Article 1 - General Provisions.
Section 16-28-2.2 - Establishment of program by local boards to inform parents of educational responsibilities.
(a) Local boards of education, pursuant to guidelines established by the State Board of Education, shall establish educational programs to inform parents of school children of their education-related responsibilities to their children. The programs shall include, but shall not be limited to, coverage of each of the following topics:
(1) The criminal liability and criminal sanctions parents may be subject to under Section 16-28-12, for failing to compel their child to properly conduct himself or herself as a pupil, or for failing to ensure that their child attends school or enrolls in school.
(2) The necessity for a parent to monitor and supervise the school work and educational activities of the child.
(3) An explanation of the responsibilities of teachers and the school system to a child, and an enumeration of those matters that are strictly the responsibility of the parent.
(4) Techniques and suggestions to enable a parent to best supervise the school work and educational activities of the child.
(5) An explanation of the interrelationship of the family life of a child and the educational achievement of the child.
(b) The State Board of Education and local boards of education shall develop strategies to ensure that parents of school children receive this information. These strategies may include provisions for weekend meetings, one-to-one conferences, telephone communications, and neighborhood meetings.
(c) Local district attorneys and law enforcement officials shall, at the request of the local board of education, assist in the implementation and operation of this section.(Acts 1993, No. 93-672, p. 1213, §2.)