2018 Code of Alabama
Title 15 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE.
Chapter 10 - ARRESTS.
Article 1 - Arrest Before Indictment.
Section 15-10-3 - Arrest without warrant - Generally; written report; protection orders.
(a) An officer may arrest a person without a warrant, on any day and at any time in any of the following instances:
(1) If a public offense has been committed or a breach of the peace threatened in the presence of the officer.
(2) When a felony has been committed, though not in the presence of the officer, by the person arrested.
(3) When a felony has been committed and the officer has reasonable cause to believe that the person arrested committed the felony.
(4) When the officer has reasonable cause to believe that the person arrested has committed a felony, although it may afterwards appear that a felony had not in fact been committed.
(5) When a charge has been made, upon reasonable cause, that the person arrested has committed a felony.
(6) When the officer has actual knowledge that a warrant for the person's arrest for the commission of a felony or misdemeanor has been issued, provided the warrant was issued in accordance with this chapter. However, upon request the officer shall show the warrant to the arrested person as soon as possible. If the officer does not have the warrant in his or her possession at the time of arrest the officer shall inform the defendant of the offense charged and of the fact that a warrant has been issued.
(7) When the officer has reasonable cause to believe that a felony or misdemeanor has been committed by the person arrested in violation of a protection order, including a domestic violence protection order or an elder abuse protection order, issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(8) When an offense involves domestic violence as defined in Section 13A-6-139.1 or elder abuse as defined in Section 38-9F-3, and the arrest is based on probable cause, regardless of whether the offense is a felony or misdemeanor.
(b) When a law enforcement officer investigates an allegation of domestic violence or elder abuse, whether or not an arrest is made, the officer shall make a written report of the alleged incident, including a statement of the complaint, and the disposition of the case.
(c) If the defendant is arrested under this section for committing an act of domestic violence in violation of a domestic violence protection order or an act of elder abuse in violation of an elder abuse protection order, the defendant shall be held in custody until brought before the court as expeditiously as possible for the purpose of enforcing the protection order and for consideration of bail in accordance with Section 15-13-190 and the applicable rules of criminal procedure, pending a hearing.(Code 1852, §445; Code 1867, §3994; Code 1876, §4664; Code 1886, §4262; Code 1896, §5211; Code 1907, §6269; Code 1923, §3263; Code 1940, T. 15, §154; Acts 1989, No. 89-857, p. 1710, §2; Acts 1995, No. 95-534, p. 1081, §1; Act 2000-266, p. 411, §8; Act 2015-493, p. 1679, §2; Act 2017-284, §12.)