2017 Code of Alabama
Title 41 - STATE GOVERNMENT.
Chapter 16 - PUBLIC CONTRACTS.
Article 7 - Guaranteed Energy Cost Savings Contracts.
Section 41-16-141 - Definitions.
For purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ENERGY COST SAVINGS MEASURE. A training program or new facility or existing facility alteration designed to reduce energy consumption or operating costs, or water and other natural resources consumption, and may include one or more of the following:
a. Insulation and reduced air infiltration of the building structure including walls, ceilings, and roofs or systems within the building.
b. Storm windows or doors, caulking or weather-stripping, multiglazed windows or doors, heat absorbing or heat reflective glazed and coated window or door systems, additional glazing, reductions in glass area, or other window and door system modifications that reduce energy consumption.
c. Automated or computerized energy control systems, including computer software and technical data licenses.
d. Heating, ventilating, or air conditioning system modifications or replacements.
e. Replacement or modification of lighting fixtures to increase the energy efficiency of the lighting system without increasing the overall illumination of a facility, unless an increase in illumination is necessary to conform to the applicable state or local building code for the lighting system after the proposed modifications are made.
f. Indoor air quality improvements.
g. Energy recovery systems.
h. Electric systems improvements.
i. Life safety measures that provide long-term operating cost reductions.
j. Building operation programs that reduce operating costs.
k. Other energy-conservation-related improvements or equipment, including improvements or equipment related to renewable energy.
l. Water and other natural resources conservation.
(2) GOVERNMENTAL UNIT. A state government agency, department, institution, college, university, technical school, legislative body, or other establishment or official of the Executive, Judicial, or Legislative Branches of the state authorized by law to enter into contracts, including all local political subdivisions such as counties, municipalities, or public school districts.
(3) GUARANTEED ENERGY COST SAVINGS CONTRACT. A contract for the implementation of one or more energy cost savings measures.
(4) OPERATIONAL COST SAVINGS. Expenses eliminated and future replacement expenditures avoided as a result of new equipment installed or services performed.
(5) QUALIFIED PROVIDER. A person or business experienced in the design, implementation, and installation of energy cost savings measures.
(6) REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS. A negotiated procurement that is announced through a public notice from a governmental unit which will administer the guaranteed energy cost savings contract requesting innovative solutions and proposals for energy conservation measures. The request for proposal shall include the following:
a. The name and address of the governmental unit.
b. The name, address, title, and phone number of a contact person.
c. The date, time, and place where proposals must be received.
d. The evaluation criteria for assessing the proposals.
e. Any other stipulations and clarifications the governmental unit may require.(Act 98-663, p. 1450, §2.)