2017 Code of Alabama
Title 13A - CRIMINAL CODE.
Chapter 10 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION.
Article 1 - Obstruction of Public Administration.
Section 13A-10-1 - Definitions.
The following definitions apply in this article only unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) FIREMAN. Any officer of a fire department, a member of a volunteer fire department, or any other person vested by law with the duty to extinguish fires.
(2) GOVERNMENT. The state, county, municipality, or other political subdivision thereof, including public county and city boards of education, the youth services department district, the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, and all educational institutions under the auspices of the State Board of Education.
(3) GOVERNMENTAL FUNCTION. Any activity which a public servant is legally authorized to undertake on behalf of a government or the fire control activities of a member of a volunteer fire department.
(4) GOVERNMENTAL RECORD. Any record, paper, document, or thing belonging to, or received or kept by, the government for information or record, or required by law to be kept by others for information of the government. Any educational attendance, membership, or financial report, or a student's school transcript.
(5) PEACE OFFICER. Any public servant vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime, whether that duty extends to all crimes or is limited to specific crimes.
(6) PROPERTY. Any real or personal property, including books, records, and documents.
(7) PUBLIC SERVANT. Any officer or employee of government, including legislators and judges and any person or agency participating as an adviser, consultant, or otherwise in performing a governmental function.(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §4501; Acts 1987, No. 87-804, p. 1578; Act 2006-423, §1.)