2017 Code of Alabama
Title 10A - ALABAMA BUSINESS AND NONPROFIT ENTITIES CODE.
Chapter 10 - REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT TRUSTS.
Section 10A-10-1.14 - Amendment of declaration.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (c) of Section 10A-10-1.06 or subdivision (7) of subsection (a) of Section 10A-10-1.07, a declaration of trust may be amended only as provided in this section.
(b) The board of trustees of a real estate investment trust proposing an amendment to its declaration of trust shall:
(1) Adopt a resolution which sets forth the proposed amendment and declares that it is advisable.
(2) Direct that the proposed amendment be submitted for consideration at either an annual or special meeting of the shareholders.
(c) Notice which states that a purpose of the meeting will be to act upon the proposed amendment shall be given by the real estate investment trust in the manner provided in the declaration of trust or bylaws to:
(1) Each shareholder entitled to vote on the proposed amendment.
(2) Each shareholder not entitled to vote on the proposed amendment if the contract rights of the shareholder's shares, as expressly set forth in the declaration of trust, would be altered by the amendment.
(3) The notice shall include a copy of the amendment or a summary of the changes it will affect.
(d) The proposed amendment shall be approved by the shareholders of the real estate investment trust by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of all the votes entitled to be cast in the matter.
(e) A declaration of trust may permit the trustees by a two-thirds vote to amend provisions of the declaration of trust, from time to time, to qualify as a real estate investment trust under the Internal Revenue Code or under this chapter.
(f) A certificate of amendment setting forth the amendment and stating the manner in which it was adopted shall be signed and acknowledged by at least a majority of the trustees or an officer duly authorized by at least a majority of the trustees and filed with the judge of probate in the county in which its declaration of trust is filed.(Acts 1995, No. 95-628, p. 1317, §14; §10-13-14; amended and renumbered by Act 2009-513, p. 967, §308.)