2016 Code of Alabama
Title 37 - PUBLIC UTILITIES AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.
Chapter 13 - INCORPORATION OF RAILROAD AUTHORITIES AS PUBLIC CORPORATIONS.
Section 37-13-1 - Definitions.
When used in this chapter, unless the context plainly indicates otherwise, the present tense shall include the future tense, the singular shall include the plural, the plural shall include the singular and the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section.
(1) ADDITIONAL RAIL SERVICE AREA. Any territory that is outside the boundaries or corporate limits, as the case may be, of any of its authorizing subdivisions and that the governing body of the county, and of any city or town, in which such territory is located has by resolution designated as an area in which the authority may render rail transportation service.
(2) AUTHORITY. Any public corporation organized pursuant to this chapter or any law amendatory thereof or supplemental thereto.
(3) AUTHORIZING SUBDIVISION. Any county, city, or town in this state in which there are located railroad properties and facilities and whose governing body receives an application for permission to organize an authority.
(4) BOARD. The board of directors of an authority.
(5) BOND. Any bond authorized to be issued pursuant to this chapter.
(6) COUPON. Any interest coupon evidencing an installment of interest payable with respect to a bond.
(7) DIRECTOR. A member of a board.
(8) FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. The United States of America or any department, division, commission, or agency and instrumentality thereof, including, without limitation, the Department of Transportation.
(9) INDENTURE. A mortgage, an indenture of mortgage, deed of trust, trust agreement, or trust indenture executed by an authority as security for bonds.
(10) PERSON. An individual, a corporation, a partnership, or a foreign domestic association.
(11) RAILROAD. A common carrier by railroad as defined in Section 1(3) of Part I of the Interstate Commerce Act, codified as 49 U.S.C. §1(3).
(12) RAILROAD PROPERTIES AND FACILITIES. Any real or personal property or interest in such property which is owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by a railroad or other person, including, without limitation, an authority, and which is used or is useful in rail transportation service, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing:
a. Track, roadbed, and related structures, including rail, ties, ballast, other track materials, grading, tunnels, bridges, trestles, culverts, elevated structures, stations, office buildings used for operating purposes only, repair shops, engine houses, and public improvements used or useful in providing rail transportation service;
b. Communication and power transmission systems for use by railroads;
c. Signals and interlockers;
d. Terminal or yard facilities and services to express companies, railroads and their shippers, including ferries, tugs, car floats, and related shoreside facilities designed for the transportation of equipment by water; and
e. Shop or repair facilities or any other property used or capable of being used in providing rail transportation service or in connection with such service or for originating, terminating, improving, and expediting the movement of equipment or goods.
(13) RAIL TRANSPORTATION SERVICE. Both freight and passenger rail service.
(14) STATE. The State of Alabama.(Acts 1984, No. 84-179, p. 256, §1; Act 2005-318, 1st Sp. Sess., p. 777, §1.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.