2016 Code of Alabama
Title 26 - INFANTS AND INCOMPETENTS.
Chapter 23B - ALABAMA PAIN-CAPABLE UNBORN CHILD PROTECTION ACT.
Section 26-23B-3 - Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) ABORTION. The use or prescription of any instrument, medicine, drug, or any other substance or device to terminate the pregnancy of a woman known to be pregnant with an intention other than to increase the probability of a live birth, to preserve the life or health of the child after live birth, or to remove a dead unborn child who died as the result of natural causes in utero, accidental trauma, or a criminal assault on the pregnant woman or her unborn child, and which causes the premature termination of the pregnancy.
(2) ATTEMPT TO PERFORM OR INDUCE AN ABORTION. An act, or an omission of a statutorily required act, that, under the circumstances as the actor believes them to be, constitutes a substantial step in a course of conduct planned to culminate in the performance or induction of an abortion in this state in violation of this chapter.
(3) FERTILIZATION. The fusion of a human spermatozoon with a human ovum.
(4) MEDICAL EMERGENCY. A condition which, in reasonable medical judgment, so complicates the medical condition of the pregnant woman as to necessitate the immediate abortion of her pregnancy without first determining postfertilization age to avert her death or for which the delay necessary to determine postfertilization age will create serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function, not including psychological or emotional conditions. No condition shall be deemed a medical emergency if based on a claim or diagnosis that the woman will engage in conduct which she intends to result in her death or in substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function.
(5) POSTFERTILIZATION AGE. The age of the unborn child as calculated from the fertilization of the human ovum.
(6) REASONABLE MEDICAL JUDGMENT. A medical judgment that would be made by a reasonable prudent physician, knowledgeable about the case and the treatment possibilities with respect to the medical conditions involved.
(7) PHYSICIAN. Any person licensed to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery in this state.
(8) PROBABLE POSTFERTILIZATION AGE OF THE UNBORN CHILD. What, in reasonable medical judgment, will with reasonable probability be the postfertilization age of the unborn child at the time the abortion is planned to be performed or induced.
(9) UNBORN CHILD or FETUS. An individual organism of the species homo sapiens from fertilization until live birth.
(10) WOMAN. A female human being whether or not she has reached the age of majority.(Act 2011-672, p. 1784, §3.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.