2016 Code of Alabama
Title 13A - CRIMINAL CODE.
Chapter 8 - OFFENSES INVOLVING THEFT.
Article 1A - Secondary Metal Recycling.
Section 13A-8-31 - Record of purchases.
(a) A secondary metals recycler shall maintain a legible record of all purchase transactions of ferrous or nonferrous metals to which the secondary metals recycler is a party. The record shall include all of the following information:
(1) The name and address of the secondary metals recycler.
(2) The name or identification of the employee responsible for making the purchase on behalf of the secondary metals recycler.
(3) The date and time of the transaction.
(4) The weight, quantity, or volume and a description of the type of metal property purchased in a purchase transaction. For purposes of this subdivision, the term "type of metal property" shall include a general physical description, such as wire, tubing, extrusions, or casting.
(5) The amount of consideration given in a purchase transaction for the metal property.
(6) A signed statement from the person receiving consideration in the purchase transaction stating that he or she is the rightful owner of the metal property or is authorized to sell the metal property being sold.
(7) The name and address of the person delivering the metal property to the secondary metals recycler.
(8) A photocopy or scanned copy of the personal identification card of the person delivering the metal property to the secondary metals recycler, including the distinctive number from, and type of, the personal identification card of the person delivering the metal property to the secondary metals recycler.
(9) The vehicle license tag number and state of issue, or the vehicle identification number if no vehicle license tag is available, and the type of vehicle used to deliver the metal property to the secondary metals recycler. For purposes of this subdivision, the term "type of vehicle" shall mean an automobile, pickup truck, van, or truck.
(10) A digital photograph or video recording of the person delivering or receiving consideration for the metal property delivered to the secondary metals recycler in which the person's facial features are clearly visible and a photograph or video recording of the metal property as delivered or sold in which the type of metal property is identifiable. The time and date shall be digitally recorded on the photograph or video recording.
(b) A secondary metals recycler shall maintain or cause to be maintained the information required by subsection (a) for not less than one year from the date of the purchase transaction.
(c) Any person who intentionally violates the requirements of subsections (a) or (b) shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor for a first offense, a Class A misdemeanor for a second offense, and a Class C felony for a third or subsequent offense within a 10-year period.
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to give false information and receive money or other consideration from a secondary metals recycler in return for metal property. Any person in violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class C felony.(Act 2007-451, p. 930, §2; Act 2010-508, p. 836, §1; Act 2012-426, p. 1149, §1.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.