2015 Code of Alabama
Title 9 - CONSERVATION AND NATURAL RESOURCES.
Chapter 10A - WATERSHED MANAGEMENT AUTHORITIES.
Section 9-10A-14 - Powers of board.
The board of directors of a watershed management authority shall have power to:
(1) Acquire, by purchase, gift, grant, bequest or devise, or through condemnation proceedings held in the manner provided by Chapter 1A of Title 18, such lands or rights-of-way as are necessary for the exercise of any authorized function of the authority. Prior to commencing condemnation proceedings upon land or rights-of-way in the manner provided by Chapter 1A of Title 18, the board of directors of a watershed management authority shall conduct a public hearing regarding the commencement of said condemnation proceedings. The board of directors, prior to the public hearing shall publish notice of the public hearing at least twice, with an interval of at least seven days between the two publication dates, in a newspaper or other publication of general circulation within the county or counties where the land or right-of-way is situated. If no such publication of general circulation is available, notice shall be given by posting the notice in at least three public places in the county. The notice shall specify the land or right-of-way upon which a condemnation proceeding may be commenced and the date, time, location and purpose of the public hearing. All interested parties shall have the right to attend said public hearing and shall be granted an opportunity to address the board of directors regarding the commencement of condemnation proceedings. A vote of two-thirds of all the members of the board of directors of the watershed management authority shall be required to commence condemnation proceedings as provided herein;
(2) Construct, improve, operate and maintain such structures and projects as may be necessary for the exercise of any authorized function of the authority;
(3) Borrow such money as is necessary for the purpose of acquiring rights-of-way and establishing, constructing, reconstructing, repairing, enlarging and maintaining such structures and improvements as are required by the authority in the performance of its functions, and issue, negotiate and sell its bonds as provided in Section 9-10A-15; provided that all contracts made and all bonds issued by a watershed management authority under the provisions of this chapter shall be solely and exclusively obligations of the authority and shall not be an obligation or debt of the State of Alabama or any county or municipality therein;
(4) Sell, lease or otherwise dispose of any of its property or interests therein in furtherance of the purposes provided for by this chapter;
(5) Make and execute contracts and other instruments necessary and convenient to the exercise of its powers;
(6) Sue and be sued in the name of the authority;
(7) Cooperate with or act as agent for the State of Alabama or any of its agencies or the United States or any of its agencies or any county or municipality in connection with the acquisition, construction, operation or administration of any project within the boundaries of the authority;
(8) Accept donations, gifts and contributions in money, services, materials or otherwise from the United States or its agencies or from the State of Alabama or its agencies or from any county or municipality or from any individual and use or expend such moneys, services, materials or other such contributions in carrying out the provisions of this chapter;
(9) Employ such employees as the board may determine and fix their compensation, qualifications and duties and delegate to the chairman of the board or any member or employee of the board such powers and duties as it may deem proper;
(10) Call upon the Attorney General of the state for such legal services as it may require or employ its own counsel and legal staff;
(11) Have a seal, which seal shall be judicially noticed;
(12) Have perpetual succession unless terminated as provided in this chapter; and
(13) Cooperate with other watershed management authorities in the exercise of any and all powers conferred pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.(Acts 1991, No. 91-602, p. 1119, §14.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.