2015 Code of Alabama
Title 8 - COMMERCIAL LAW AND CONSUMER PROTECTION.
Chapter 34 - DEALERS IN GOLD OR PRECIOUS ITEMS.
Section 8-34-3 - Documentation of items and identification of sellers; weekly report to law enforcement agency.
(a) Each dealer shall keep for six months from the date of purchase of a precious item and make available on request of a local law enforcement agency:
(1) The name, current address, date of birth, and signature of the person from whom the dealer purchased the item.
(2) A description of the person, including height, weight, race, complexion, and hair color.
(3) A valid identification card number as outlined in subsection (b).
(4) A list describing the items purchased from that person.
(b) (1) Before making a purchase, a dealer shall require the person from whom he or she is purchasing to identify himself or herself with a valid driver's license, a non-driver's identification card, armed services identification card, or other valid photo identification sufficient to obtain the information required pursuant to subsection (a).
(2) The method of photo identification shall contain a traceable serial number to be recorded by the dealer.
A list of the acceptable forms of photo identification shall be provided by each local law enforcement agency.
(c) Each dealer, at least once each week in which he or she makes a purchase, shall make out and deliver to the local law enforcement agency a true, complete, and legible list of all items purchased during the period since the last report. The dealer shall use local law enforcement agency forms to meet the requirements of this subsection if such forms are issued by the local law enforcement agency. The list shall include:
(1) The brand name and serial number, if any, of the item or items purchased.
(2) An accurate description of each item sufficient to enable the law enforcement agency to identify the item.
(3) The date and time when the item was received.
(4) The amount paid for each item.
(5) All information pursuant to subsection (a).(Act 2010-732, p. 1843, §3.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.