2015 Code of Alabama
Title 8 - COMMERCIAL LAW AND CONSUMER PROTECTION.
Chapter 29 - TIMELY PAYMENTS TO CONTRACTORS AND SUBCONTRACTORS.
Section 8-29-4 - Withholding application and certification for payment; withholding payment; notice.
(a) Nothing in this chapter shall prevent the owner, contractor, or subcontractor from withholding application and certification for payment for any of the following reasons if there is a bona fide dispute over one or more of the following:
(1) Unsatisfactory job progress.
(2) Defective construction not remedied.
(3) Disputed work.
(4) Third party claims filed or reasonable evidence that a claim will be filed.
(5) Failure of the contractor, subcontractor, or sub-subcontractor to make timely payments for labor, equipment, and materials.
(6) Property damage to owner, contractor, or subcontractor.
(7) Reasonable evidence that the contract, subcontract, or sub-subcontract cannot be completed for the unpaid balance of the contract or contract sum.
(b) In the event that there is a bona fide dispute over all or any portion of the amount due on a progress payment from the owner, contractor, or subcontractor then the owner, contractor, or subcontractor may withhold payment in an amount not to exceed 2 times the disputed amount.
(c) An owner is required to notify a contractor in writing within 15 days of receipt of any disputed request for payment. A contractor, subcontractor and sub-subcontractor is required to provide written notification within 5 days of disputed request for payment or notice of disputed request for payment.(Acts 1995, No. 95-380, p. 775, §4.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.