2015 Code of Alabama
Title 8 - COMMERCIAL LAW AND CONSUMER PROTECTION.
Chapter 18 - MOTION PICTURE FAIR COMPETITION.
Section 8-18-2 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) PERSON. One or more individuals, partnerships, associations, societies, trusts, organizations or corporations.
(2) THEATRE. Any establishment in which motion pictures are exhibited to the public regularly for a charge.
(3) DISTRIBUTOR. Any person engaged in the business of distributing or supplying motion pictures to exhibitors by rental, sale or licensing.
(4) EXHIBITOR. Any person engaged in the business of operating one or more theatres.
(5) EXHIBIT or EXHIBITION. Showing a motion picture to the public for a charge.
(6) INVITATION TO BID. A written or oral solicitation or invitation by a distributor to one or more exhibitors to bid for the right to exhibit a motion picture.
(7) BID. A written offer or proposal by an exhibitor to a distributor in response to an invitation to bid for the right to exhibit a motion picture, stating the terms under which the exhibitor will agree to exhibit a motion picture.
(8) LICENSE AGREEMENT. Any contract, agreement, understanding or condition between a distributor and an exhibitor relating to the licensing or exhibition of a motion picture by the exhibitor.
(9) TRADE SCREENING. The showing of a motion picture by a distributor at the location of the film exchange that distributes his picture in Alabama, which is open to any exhibitor from whom the distributor intends to solicit bids or with whom the distributor intends to negotiate for the right to exhibit the motion picture.
(10) BLIND BIDDING. The bidding for, negotiating for or offering or agreeing to terms for the licensing or exhibition of a motion picture at any time before such motion picture has either been trade screened or before such motion picture, at the option of the distributor, otherwise has been made available for viewing by all exhibitors from whom the distributor is soliciting bids or with whom the distributor is negotiating for the right to exhibit such motion picture.
(11) RUN. The continuous exhibition of a motion picture in a defined geographic area for a specified period of time. A "first run" is the first exhibition of a picture in the designated area, a "second run" is the second exhibition and "subsequent runs" are subsequent exhibitions after the second run. An "exclusive run" is any run limited to a single theatre in a defined geographic area and a "nonexclusive run" is any run in more than one theatre in a defined geographic area.(Acts 1978, No. 591, p. 702, §3.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.