2015 Code of Alabama
Title 15 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE.
Chapter 27 - EXPUNGEMENT.
Section 15-27-2 - Petition to expunge records - Felony offense.
Petition to expunge records - Felony offense.
(a) A person who has been charged with a felony offense, except a violent offense as defined in Section 12-25-32(14), may file a petition in the criminal division of the circuit court in the county in which the charges were filed, to expunge records relating to the charge in any of the following circumstances:
(1) When the charge is dismissed with prejudice.
(2) When the charge has been no billed by a grand jury.
(3) When the person has been found not guilty of the charge.
(4)a. The charge was dismissed after successful completion of a drug court program, mental health court program, diversion program, veteran's court, or any court-approved deferred prosecution program after one year from successful completion of the program.
b. Expungement may be a court-ordered condition of a program listed in paragraph a.
(5) The charge was dismissed without prejudice more than five years ago, has not been refiled, and the person has not been convicted of any other felony or misdemeanor crime, any violation, or any traffic violation, excluding minor traffic violations, during the previous five years.
(6) Ninety days have passed from the date of dismissal with prejudice, no-bill, acquittal, or nolle prosequi and the charge has not been refiled.
(b) The circuit court shall have exclusive jurisdiction of a petition filed under subsection (a).
(Act 2014-292, §2.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.