There is a newer version of the Code of Alabama
2013 Code of Alabama
Article 1 Structured Damages.
Title 6 - CIVIL PRACTICE.
Chapter 11 - DAMAGES.
- Section 6-11-1 - Damages assessed by factfinder to be itemized; future damages not to be reduced to present value.
- Section 6-11-2 - Definitions.
- Section 6-11-3 - Future damages; requirements if damages greater than $150,000; attorney's fees; periodic payments over period of years; specific findings; evidence of financial ability to make payments; evidence of present value inadmissible.
- Section 6-11-4 - Requirements when judgment structured; termination.
- Section 6-11-5 - Court to conduct hearings and receive evidence.
- Section 6-11-6 - Damages not affected.
- Section 6-11-7 - Prior rights not affected.
- Section 6-11-20 - Punitive damages not to be awarded other than where clear and convincing evidence proven; definitions.
- Section 6-11-21 - Punitive damages not to exceed certain limits.
- Section 6-11-22 - Grounds for mistrial if limitations mentioned in presence of jury
- Section 6-11-23 - No presumption of correctness; court to conduct hearings; admissible relevant evidence; trial court to independently reassess award of punitive damages.
- Section 6-11-24 - No presumption of correctness to apply to damages on appeal.
- Section 6-11-25 - Ability of court to set aside damages not limited.
- Section 6-11-26 - No punitive damages awarded against state or agency thereof.
- Section 6-11-27 - Principal, master, etc., not liable for punitive damages for conduct of agent, servant, etc.; exceptions.
- Section 6-11-28 - No cause of action created.
- Section 6-11-29 - Wrongful death actions not affected.
- Section 6-11-30 - Effective date.
- Section 6-11-50 - Short title.
- Section 6-11-51 - Definitions.
- Section 6-11-52 - Disclosure statement.
- Section 6-11-53 - Advanced approval by court required; hearing.
- Section 6-11-54 - Effects of transfer of rights.
- Section 6-11-55 - Application for approval of transfer; notice.
- Section 6-11-56 - Waiver; choice of law; procedures for life-contingent rights; liability.
- Section 6-11-57 - Applicability.
- Section 6-11-58 - Relation to workers' compensation provisions.
- Section 6-11-59 - Confidentiality of settlement terms.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.