There is a newer version of the Code of Alabama
2013 Code of Alabama
Article 1 Exemptions From Levy and Sale Under Process.
Title 6 - CIVIL PRACTICE.
Chapter 10 - EXEMPTIONS.
Division 1 General Provisions.
- Section 6-10-1 - Law governing exemptions and claims.
- Section 6-10-2 - Homestead exemption - Amount; area.
- Section 6-10-3 - Homestead exemption - Alienation by married person.
- Section 6-10-4 - Homestead exemption - Liens not affected.
- Section 6-10-5 - Burial place and church pew or seat.
- Section 6-10-6 - Personalty.
- Section 6-10-7 - Wages, salaries, or other compensation of laborers or employees for personal services.
- Section 6-10-8 - Rights of beneficiaries and assignees under life insurance policies.
- Section 6-10-9 - Partnership property.
- Section 6-10-10 - County and municipal property.
- Section 6-10-11 - Exemptions in federal bankruptcy.
- Section 6-10-20 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Making and filing.
- Section 6-10-21 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Recordation; receipt; certified copies.
- Section 6-10-22 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Fees for filing, etc.
- Section 6-10-23 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Effect as evidence and notice.
- Section 6-10-24 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Effect of waiver or contest.
- Section 6-10-25 - Declaration of claimed exemptions - Contesting of claims.
- Section 6-10-26 - Claim of exemption after levy and prior to sale; contesting of such claim.
- Section 6-10-27 - Contest of exemption claim - Delivery of personalty to defendant upon executing bond; proceedings when bond not forthcoming.
- Section 6-10-28 - Contest of exemption claim - Return of levying officer.
- Section 6-10-29 - Contest of exemption claim - Filing of inventory by defendant; effect of failure to file.
- Section 6-10-30 - Contest of exemption claim - Trial of issues.
- Section 6-10-31 - Contest of exemption claim - Trial by jury in probate court.
- Section 6-10-32 - Contest of exemption claim - Judgment.
- Section 6-10-33 - Contest of exemption claim - Proceedings when claim of personalty found excessive.
- Section 6-10-34 - Contest of exemption claim - Proceedings when inventory discloses personalty not embraced by claim of exemption.
- Section 6-10-35 - Contest of exemption claim - Tender of issue by plaintiff on inventory filed by defendant; determination thereof.
- Section 6-10-36 - Contest of exemption claim - Assessment of value of property and damages resulting from detention on bond; judgment and execution on bond.
- Section 6-10-37 - Contest of exemption claim - Garnishment of money, choses in action or personal property.
- Section 6-10-38 - Contest of exemption claim - Proceedings when homestead found to exceed value or area allowed.
- Section 6-10-39 - Interposition of homestead claim or other exemptions and defense of contest thereof by spouse or minor children.
- Section 6-10-40 - Sale of land and separation of homestead interest from that of alienee.
- Section 6-10-41 - Effect of leaving homestead temporarily or leasing same.
- Section 6-10-42 - When no action lies against officer levying on exempt property.
- Section 6-10-43 - Effect of contest on sale of property and lien thereon.
Division 1 General Provisions.
- Section 6-10-67 - Right to use of property before such set apart and to commence or defend actions thereon.
- Section 6-10-80 - Appraisers - Issuance of commission.
- Section 6-10-81 - Appraisers - Duty to set apart exempt personal property; return of report.
- Section 6-10-82 - Appraisers - Report of homestead appraisement.
- Section 6-10-83 - Proceedings to set apart homestead when same exceeds value allowed.
- Section 6-10-84 - Proceedings on failure of appraisers to set apart exemptions or to appraise homestead.
- Section 6-10-85 - How exemption in lieu of homestead claimed and set apart.
- Section 6-10-86 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Exceptions; notice of time set for hearing thereon.
- Section 6-10-87 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Notice to next of kin of decedent of date set for hearing of report on exemptions.
- Section 6-10-88 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Hearing and determination on exceptions; proceedings when exemption of personalty excessive or insufficient.
- Section 6-10-89 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Proceedings when report set aside.
- Section 6-10-90 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Taxation of cost on exceptions being filed.
- Section 6-10-91 - Report of appraisers or commissioners - Appeal from decree on exceptions.
- Section 6-10-92 - Exceptions to report of appraisers that homestead does not exceed allowance.
- Section 6-10-93 - Confirmation of reports when no exceptions filed.
- Section 6-10-94 - Reduced homestead incapable of allotment - Possession by surviving spouse and minor children until sold, etc.
- Section 6-10-95 - Reduced homestead incapable of allotment - Sale - When allowed.
- Section 6-10-96 - Reduced homestead incapable of allotment - Sale - Proof of facts; order and notice; terms; application of proceeds.
- Section 6-10-97 - Reduced homestead incapable of allotment - Sale - Proceedings when no bid in excess of $6,000 received.
- Section 6-10-98 - Reduced homestead incapable of allotment - Sale - Purchase by persons entitled to homestead exemption.
- Section 6-10-99 - Payment by devisees to clear property of homestead right.
- Section 6-10-100 - Proceedings to set apart exemptions when administration not granted on decedent's estate within 60 days after death - Generally.
- Section 6-10-101 - Proceedings to set apart exemptions when administration not granted on decedent's estate within 60 days after death - Vesting of title to real property in surviving spouse and minors and right to possession thereof.
- Section 6-10-102 - Effect of removal from homestead.
- Section 6-10-103 - Commissioners - Qualifications; oath.
- Section 6-10-104 - Commissioners - Compensation.
- Section 6-10-105 - Recordation of judgments allotting homestead exemptions; fee therefor.
- Section 6-10-106 - Proceedings to set aside exemptions when husband, wife or parent absent seven years and residence not ascertainable - Generally.
- Section 6-10-107 - Proceedings to set aside exemptions when husband, wife or parent absent seven years and residence not ascertainable - Vesting for life of title to property in deserted spouse or minors.
- Section 6-10-120 - Right to waive.
- Section 6-10-121 - How made - Personalty.
- Section 6-10-122 - How made - Homestead.
- Section 6-10-123 - Enforcement in action.
- Section 6-10-124 - Attachment - Endorsement on writ.
- Section 6-10-125 - Attachment - Proceedings when waiver not sustained.
- Section 6-10-126 - Exceptions.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.