2013 Code of Alabama
Title 30 - MARITAL AND DOMESTIC RELATIONS.
Chapter 3C - ALABAMA UNIFORM CHILD ABDUCTION PREVENTION ACT.
Section 30-3C-2 - Definitions.
In this chapter, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) ABDUCTION. The wrongful removal or wrongful retention of a child.
(2) CHILD. An unemancipated individual who is less than 19 years of age.
(3) CHILD-CUSTODY DETERMINATION. A judgment, decree, or other order of a court providing for the legal custody, physical custody, or visitation with respect to a child. The term includes a permanent, temporary, initial, and modification order. The term does not include an order relating to child support or other monetary obligation of an individual.
(4) CHILD-CUSTODY PROCEEDING. A court proceeding in which legal custody, physical custody, or visitation with respect to a child is at issue. The term includes a proceeding for divorce, dissolution of marriage, legal separation, neglect, abuse, dependency, paternity, termination of parental rights, or protection from domestic violence. The term does not include a court proceeding involving juvenile delinquency, contractual emancipation, guardianship proceeding, adoption, or enforcement under Article 3 of Chapter 3B of this title, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.
(5) COURT. An entity authorized under the law of a state to establish, enforce, or modify a child-custody determination.
(6) PETITION. Includes a motion or its equivalent.
(7) RECORD. Information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(8) STATE. A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The term includes a federally recognized Indian tribe or nation.
(9) TRAVEL DOCUMENT. A record relating to a travel itinerary, including travel tickets, passes, reservations for transportation, or accommodations. The term does not include a passport or visa.
(10) WRONGFUL REMOVAL. The taking of a child that breaches rights of custody or visitation given or recognized under the law of this state.
(11) WRONGFUL RETENTION. The keeping or concealing of a child that breaches rights of custody or visitation given or recognized under the law of this state.(Act 2010-212, p. 339, §2.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.