2013 Code of Alabama
Article 1 General Provisions.
Title 15 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE.
Chapter 16 - INSANITY.
- Section 15-16-1 - Defense of insanity to be by special plea.
- Section 15-16-2 - Presumption of responsibility for acts; burden of proving irresponsibility.
- Section 15-16-3 - Costs of moving prisoners to be defrayed by state; recovery of costs by state.
- Section 15-16-20 - Duty of judge to institute investigation on sanity of certain confined persons; proceedings where person found insane.
- Section 15-16-21 - Suspension of felony trial to inquire into accused's sanity; proceedings upon jury findings; resumption of proceedings when sanity restored; release restriction.
- Section 15-16-22 - Duty of judge to order examination of defendant in capital cases; observation and examination of defendant by commission on lunacy; report by commission; order of clerk of court; expenses of removal of defendant.
- Section 15-16-23 - Suspending execution of death sentence of insane convict; order upon restoration to sanity; limitations on jurisdiction to suspend execution.
- Section 15-16-24 - Special verdict of not guilty due to insanity; general verdict of not guilty or verdict of conviction.
- Section 15-16-41 - Determination of necessity for hearing as to involuntary commitment of defendant found not guilty by reason of insanity; subsequent proceedings.
- Section 15-16-42 - Final hearing following finding of probable cause.
- Section 15-16-43 - Commitment of defendant upon finding of mental illness.
- Section 15-16-60 - Short title.
- Section 15-16-61 - Definitions.
- Section 15-16-62 - Defendant not released from custody unless authorized by court order.
- Section 15-16-63 - Department must give notice of opinion that defendant is no longer mentally ill, poses no threat of substantial harm, etc.; inclusion in notice of conditional release plan.
- Section 15-16-64 - Date of hearing; notice.
- Section 15-16-65 - Appointed counsel; payment.
- Section 15-16-66 - Release of defendant upon failure to hold hearing.
- Section 15-16-67 - Determination as to condition of defendant; disposition of defendant.
- Section 15-16-68 - Court-imposed conditions for release.
- Section 15-16-69 - Specific conditions for conditional release must be stated; periodic reports regarding defendant's compliance; periodic reports not deemed violative of doctor-patient privilege.
- Section 15-16-70 - Modification of release conditions or order to return for further treatment; notice of hearing; standard for modifications and orders.
- Section 15-16-71 - Removal of conditions of release or release without conditions after notice and hearing.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.