2009 Alabama Code
Title 26 — INFANTS AND INCOMPETENTS.
Chapter 10A — ALABAMA ADOPTION CODE.
Section 26-10A-9 Implied consent or relinquishment.
Implied consent or relinquishment.
(a) A consent or relinquishment required by Section 26-10A-7 may be implied by any of the following acts of a parent:
(1) Abandonment of the adoptee. Abandonment includes, but is not limited to, the failure of the father, with reasonable knowledge of the pregnancy, to offer financial and/or emotional support for a period of six months prior to the birth.
(2) Leaving the adoptee without provision for his or her identification for a period of 30 days.
(3) Knowingly leaving the adoptee with others without provision for support and without communication, or not otherwise maintaining a significant parental relationship with the adoptee for a period of six months.
(4) Receiving notification of the pendency of the adoption proceedings under Section 26-10A-17 and failing to answer or otherwise respond to the petition within 30 days.
(5) Failing to comply with Section 26-10C-1.
(b) Implied consent under subsection (a) may not be withdrawn by any person.(Acts 1990, No. 90-554, p. 912, §9; Act 99-435, p. 857, §1; Act 2002-417, p. 1061, §1.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.