2006 Alabama Chapter 8 — PROBATE CODE.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 43-8-1 — General definitions.
- Section 43-8-2 — Construction of chapter; purposes and policies.
- Section 43-8-3 — Supplementary effect of principles of law and equity.
- Section 43-8-4 — Construction against implied repeal.
- Section 43-8-5 — Relief against fraud; limitations.
- Section 43-8-6 — Rules of evidence; evidence as to death or status; presumption of death.
- Section 43-8-7 — Effect of acts by holder of general power of appointment, etc., on beneficiaries.
- Section 43-8-8 — Effective date; transition provisions.
- Section 43-8-9 — Savings provision for counties of Jefferson and Mobile.
Article 2 Applicability, Jurisdiction and Venue, and Implied Oath.
- Section 43-8-20 — Applicability of chapter.
- Section 43-8-21 — Venue; multiple proceedings; transfer.
- Section 43-8-22 — Filed documents deemed to include oath or affirmation.
Article 3 Intestate Succession.
- Section 43-8-40 — Intestate estate generally.
- Section 43-8-41 — Share of the spouse.
- Section 43-8-42 — Share of heirs other than surviving spouse.
- Section 43-8-43 — Requirement that heir survive decedent for five days.
- Section 43-8-44 — When estate passes to state.
- Section 43-8-45 — Division of estate where representation is involved.
- Section 43-8-46 — Inheritance by relatives of half blood.
- Section 43-8-47 — Inheritance by afterborn heirs.
- Section 43-8-48 — Parent and child relationship.
- Section 43-8-49 — Advancements.
- Section 43-8-50 — Controversy as to advancements - How issue made up and tried.
- Section 43-8-51 — Controversy as to advancements - Discovery of advancements.
- Section 43-8-52 — Controversy as to advancements - Proceedings and answer upon death of distributee.
- Section 43-8-53 — Controversy as to advancements - Contest of answer.
- Section 43-8-54 — Controversy as to advancements - Consequence of failure to answer.
- Section 43-8-55 — Against whom debts owed to decedent charged.
- Section 43-8-56 — Alien status not a disqualification to inheriting.
- Section 43-8-57 — Dower and curtesy abolished.
- Section 43-8-58 — Share of persons related to decedent through two lines.
Article 4 Elective Share of Surviving Spouse; Abatement.
- Section 43-8-70 — Right of surviving spouse to elective share.
- Section 43-8-71 — Right of election personal to surviving spouse.
- Section 43-8-72 — Waiver of right to elect and of other rights.
- Section 43-8-73 — Procedure for making election; petition; time limit; notice and hearing; withdrawal of demand; order of court; enforcement of order.
- Section 43-8-74 — Entitlement of surviving spouse to certain benefits regardless of election.
- Section 43-8-75 — How elective share satisfied; what property applied first; apportionment of others' liability for balance of elective share.
- Section 43-8-76 — Order of abatement.
Article 5 Spouse and Children Not Provided for in Will.
Article 6 Exempt Property and Allowances.
- Section 43-8-110 — Homestead allowance.
- Section 43-8-111 — Exempt property.
- Section 43-8-112 — Family allowance.
- Section 43-8-113 — Source, determination and documentation of exempt property and allowances; petition for relief by personal representative or interested person.
- Section 43-8-114 — Spouse may retain dwelling, etc., until assignment of homestead.
- Section 43-8-115 — Discharge of debtor from liability for wages, etc., owed intestate former employee of another; status of funds paid under this section.
Article 7 Wills Generally.
- Section 43-8-130 — Who may make a will.
- Section 43-8-131 — Execution and signature of will; witnesses.
- Section 43-8-132 — Self-proved will - Form and execution; how attested will made self-proved; effect.
- Section 43-8-133 — Self-proved will - Making attested will self-proved.
- Section 43-8-134 — Who may witness will.
- Section 43-8-135 — Choice of law as to validity of execution.
- Section 43-8-136 — Revocation by writing or by act; when witnesses required.
- Section 43-8-137 — Revocation by divorce or annulment; revival by remarriage; no revocation by other changes or circumstances.
- Section 43-8-138 — When will revived on revocation of subsequent will.
- Section 43-8-139 — Incorporation by reference.
- Section 43-8-140 — Testamentary additions to trusts.
- Section 43-8-141 — Reference to events of independent significance.
- Section 43-8-160 — Who may have will probated.
- Section 43-8-161 — Time limit for probate.
- Section 43-8-162 — Where will probated.
- Section 43-8-163 — Probate not prevented by subsequent incompetency of witnesses.
- Section 43-8-164 — Notice to surviving spouse and next of kin - Generally.
- Section 43-8-165 — Notice to surviving spouse and next of kin - Minors.
- Section 43-8-166 — Notice to surviving spouse and next of kin - Persons outside state.
- Section 43-8-167 — Mode of proving will generally.
- Section 43-8-168 — Depositions of witnesses.
- Section 43-8-169 — Recordation of witnesses' testimony.
- Section 43-8-170 — Certificate endorsed on will.
- Section 43-8-171 — Admission of will in evidence.
- Section 43-8-172 — Protection of bona fide purchasers, etc.
- Section 43-8-173 — Withdrawal of will before probate.
- Section 43-8-174 — Withdrawal of will for proof out of state.
- Section 43-8-175 — Probate of foreign will.
- Section 43-8-190 — Who may contest will; filing objections; making up issue; trial by jury.
- Section 43-8-191 — Time for trial; continuance; summoning witnesses.
- Section 43-8-192 — Drawing and summoning of jurors; penalty for default.
- Section 43-8-193 — Proceedings against defaulting witness.
- Section 43-8-194 — Depositions of witnesses; rules governing procedure.
- Section 43-8-195 — Admission or rejection of will.
- Section 43-8-196 — Costs.
- Section 43-8-197 — Change of venue.
- Section 43-8-198 — Transfer of contest to circuit court; appeal from judgment of circuit court; certification of judgment, etc., to probate court.
- Section 43-8-199 — Contest in circuit court after admission to probate - Generally.
- Section 43-8-200 — Contest in circuit court after admission to probate - Parties; conclusiveness of judgment.
- Section 43-8-201 — Contest in circuit court after admission to probate - Additional time for contest by infants and persons of unsound mind.
- Section 43-8-202 — Contest in circuit court after admission to probate - Trial of issues by jury; consideration of witnesses' testimony.
Article 8 Construction of Wills.
- Section 43-8-220 — Requirement that devisee survive testator by five days.
- Section 43-8-221 — Choice of law as to meaning and effect of wills.
- Section 43-8-222 — Controlling effect of intention of testator.
- Section 43-8-223 — Construction of will to pass all property, including after-acquired property.
- Section 43-8-224 — Anti-lapse provision; applicability to deceased devisees and to class gifts.
- Section 43-8-225 — Effect of failure of testamentary provisions.
- Section 43-8-226 — Specific devise of securities; change in securities; accessions; nonademption.
- Section 43-8-227 — Nonademption of specific devises in certain cases; proceeds of sale, condemnation, insurance or foreclosure; sale by guardian or curator.
- Section 43-8-228 — Nonexoneration.
- Section 43-8-229 — Exercise of power of appointment.
- Section 43-8-230 — Construction of generic terms to accord with relationships as defined for intestate succession; when person born out of wedlock treated as child of father.
- Section 43-8-231 — Ademption by satisfaction.
Article 9 Miscellaneous Provisions.
- Section 43-8-250 — Contracts concerning succession, etc.; no presumption of nonrevocation from joint or mutual wills.
- Section 43-8-251 — Renunciation of succession.
- Section 43-8-252 — Effect of divorce, annulment, or decree of separation.
- Section 43-8-253 — Effect of homicide on intestate succession, wills, joint assets, life insurance and beneficiary designations; effect of bona fide purchase by third party or good faith payment by obligor, etc.
- Section 43-8-254 — Appointment of debtor as executor.
- Section 43-8-255 — Administrators with will annexed have same powers as executors.
- Section 43-8-256 — Testator may preclude corporation from becoming surety on bond of executor or administrator.
Article 10 Custody of Wills.
Article 11 Uniform Disclaimer of Property Interests.
- Section 43-8-290 — Short title.
- Section 43-8-291 — Right to disclaim interest in property.
- Section 43-8-292 — Filing and delivery of disclaimer.
- Section 43-8-293 — Form of disclaimer.
- Section 43-8-294 — Effect of disclaimer.
- Section 43-8-295 — Waiver and bar.
- Section 43-8-296 — Remedy not exclusive.
- Section 43-8-297 — Uniformity of application and construction.
- Section 43-8-298 — Applicability of article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.