2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 8 — UNIFORM CERTIFICATE OF TITLE AND ANTITHEFT ACT.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 32-8-1 — Short title.
- Section 32-8-2 — Definitions.
- Section 32-8-3 — Powers and duties of department.
- Section 32-8-6 — Schedule of fees and commissions.
- Section 32-8-7 — Additional commission fee.
- Section 32-8-8 — Right of inspection for violations.
- Section 32-8-9 — Forms and rules.
- Section 32-8-10 — Enforcement of chapter.
- Section 32-8-11 — Aiding, abetting, etc., in violations.
- Section 32-8-12 — Offenses constituting felonies.
- Section 32-8-13 — Offenses constituting misdemeanors.
- Section 32-8-14 — Penalties.
Article 2 Certificate of Title.
- Section 32-8-30 — Certificate required for certain motor vehicles, mobile homes, and travel trailers; cancellation of title to certain mobile homes affixed to realty; reapplication for certificate when mobile home is detached; penalty.
- Section 32-8-31 — Exemptions.
- Section 32-8-32 — Prerequisite to issuance of license plates.
- Section 32-8-33 — Prerequisite to assessment for ad valorem taxes.
- Section 32-8-34 — Designated agents of department.
- Section 32-8-35 — Application for first certificate.
- Section 32-8-36 — Application for certificate with bond or cash.
- Section 32-8-37 — Check of vehicle identification number against list of stolen vehicles; issuance of certificate; records.
- Section 32-8-38 — Use of duplicate copy of application as permit to operate motor vehicle; return of duplicate and tags upon refusal to issue certificate.
- Section 32-8-39 — Contents and effect of certificate.
- Section 32-8-40 — Distinctive certificates for certain vehicles.
- Section 32-8-41 — Delivery of certificate.
- Section 32-8-42 — Refusing certificate.
- Section 32-8-43 — Certificates lost, stolen, mutilated, etc.
- Section 32-8-44 — Transfer of ownership - Generally.
- Section 32-8-45 — Transfer of ownership - To or from dealer; records.
- Section 32-8-46 — Transfer of ownership - By operation of law.
- Section 32-8-47 — Transfer of ownership - When department to issue new certificate.
- Section 32-8-49 — Suspension or revocation of certificates.
Article 3 Security Interests.
- Section 32-8-60 — Excepted liens and security interests.
- Section 32-8-60.1 — Security interest not created where rental price may be adjusted by reference to amount realized upon sale.
- Section 32-8-61 — Perfection of security interests.
- Section 32-8-62 — Procedure when owner creates security interest.
- Section 32-8-63 — Assignment by lienholder.
- Section 32-8-64 — Release of security interest.
- Section 32-8-64.1 — Satisfaction of security interest after 12 years.
- Section 32-8-65 — Duty of lienholder to disclose information.
- Section 32-8-66 — Exclusiveness of procedure.
- Section 32-8-67 — Filing and recording of notices of security interests; examination of record.
Article 4 Antitheft Laws.
- Section 32-8-80 — Exceptions from provisions of article.
- Section 32-8-81 — Unauthorized use of vehicles.
- Section 32-8-82 — Unauthorized receiving or disposing of vehicles.
- Section 32-8-83 — Unauthorized damaging or tampering with vehicles.
- Section 32-8-84 — Reports to department of stolen, converted, recovered and unclaimed vehicles; suspension of registration of stolen or converted vehicles.
- Section 32-8-85 — False report of theft or conversion.
- Section 32-8-86 — Removed, falsified or unauthorized identification number, registration or license plate; seizure of vehicle, part, etc., when number altered, etc.; disposition of forfeited property.
- Section 32-8-87 — Dismantling, destroying or changing identity of vehicle; certificates of title to be cancelled; salvage certificates; dealer transport license; responsibilities of insurance company upon settlement of claims; "total loss" defined; penalties regarding removal, sale, etc., of vehicle identification numbers, certificates, etc.; restrictions on transfer of salvage vehicles; application for inspection of salvage vehicle; inspection fee; "component parts" defined; "rebuilt" certificate of title.
- Section 32-8-88 — Motor vehicle theft facility prohibited; definitions; seizure and forfeiture of property; disposition of proceeds of forfeiture sale.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.