2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 5A — RULES OF THE ROAD.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 32-5A-1 — Short title.
- Section 32-5A-2 — Provisions of chapter refer to vehicles upon highways; exceptions.
- Section 32-5A-3 — Required obedience to traffic laws.
- Section 32-5A-4 — Obedience to police officers and firemen.
- Section 32-5A-5 — Persons riding animals or driving animal-drawn vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-6 — Persons working on highways; exceptions.
- Section 32-5A-8 — Violations as misdemeanor; penalties.
- Section 32-5A-7 — Authorized emergency vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-9 — Penalty for felony.
- Section 32-5A-10 — Disposition of fines and forfeitures.
- Section 32-5A-11 — Uniformity of interpretation.
- Section 32-5A-12 — Chapter not retroactive.
- Section 32-5A-13 — Provisions cumulative; laws not repealed.
Article 2 Traffic Signs, Signals and Markings.
- Section 32-5A-30 — Uniform marking of highways and erection of traffic-control devices.
- Section 32-5A-31 — Obedience to traffic-control devices; devices presumed to comply with requirements.
- Section 32-5A-32 — Traffic-control signal legend.
- Section 32-5A-33 — Pedestrian-control signals.
- Section 32-5A-34 — Flashing signals.
- Section 32-5A-35 — Lane-direction-control signals.
- Section 32-5A-36 — Display of unauthorized signs, signals or markings as public nuisance; signs, markings, etc., to be approved; procedure for approval.
- Section 32-5A-37 — Interference with official traffic-control devices or railroad signs or signals.
Article 3 Operation and Use of Vehicles Generally.
- Section 32-5A-50 — Unattended motor vehicle.
- Section 32-5A-51 — Limitations on backing.
- Section 32-5A-52 — Driving upon sidewalk.
- Section 32-5A-53 — Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism.
- Section 32-5A-54 — Opening and closing vehicle doors.
- Section 32-5A-55 — Riding in house trailers.
- Section 32-5A-56 — Driving on mountain highways.
- Section 32-5A-57 — Coasting prohibited.
- Section 32-5A-58 — Following emergency vehicle prohibited.
- Section 32-5A-59 — Crossing fire hose.
- Section 32-5A-60 — Putting glass, etc., on highway, road, street or public right-of-way prohibited; removal; throwing of litter onto highway, etc., prohibited; penalty.
- Section 32-5A-61 — Driver not to proceed where traffic obstructed.
- Section 32-5A-62 — Snowmobile operation limited.
Article 4 Driving on and Use of Roadways Generally; Overtaking and Passing.
- Section 32-5A-80 — Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.
- Section 32-5A-81 — Passing vehicles proceeding in opposite directions.
- Section 32-5A-82 — Overtaking vehicle on left.
- Section 32-5A-83 — When passing on right permitted.
- Section 32-5A-84 — Limitations on overtaking on left.
- Section 32-5A-85 — Further limitations on driving on left of center of roadway.
- Section 32-5A-86 — No-passing zones.
- Section 32-5A-87 — One-way roadways and rotary traffic islands.
- Section 32-5A-88 — Driving on roadways laned for traffic.
- Section 32-5A-89 — Following too closely.
- Section 32-5A-90 — Driving on divided highways.
- Section 32-5A-91 — Access onto controlled roadways restricted.
- Section 32-5A-92 — Restrictions on use of controlled-access roadway.
Article 5 Right-of-way.
- Section 32-5A-110 — Vehicle approaching or entering intersection.
- Section 32-5A-111 — Vehicle turning left.
- Section 32-5A-112 — Vehicle entering stop or yield intersection; collision as prima facie evidence of failure to yield.
- Section 32-5A-113 — Authority to designate through highways and stop and yield intersections.
- Section 32-5A-114 — Vehicles entering highway from private road or roadway.
- Section 32-5A-115 — Operation of vehicles on approach of authorized emergency vehicles; signals on emergency vehicles; duty of emergency vehicle driver.
- Section 32-5A-116 — Highway construction and maintenance.
Article 6 Turning, Starting and Stopping Generally.
- Section 32-5A-130 — Required position and method of turning at intersections.
- Section 32-5A-131 — Turning on curve or crest of grade prohibited.
- Section 32-5A-132 — Starting parked vehicle.
- Section 32-5A-133 — Turning movements and required signals.
- Section 32-5A-134 — Signals by hand and arm or signal lamps.
- Section 32-5A-135 — Method of giving hand and arm signals.
- Section 32-5A-136 — Stopping, standing or parking outside of business or residence districts.
- Section 32-5A-137 — Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places.
- Section 32-5A-138 — Additional parking regulations.
- Section 32-5A-139 — Officers authorized to remove vehicles.
Article 7 Special Stops Required.
- Section 32-5A-150 — Obedience to signal indicating approach of train.
- Section 32-5A-151 — Certain vehicles must stop at all railroad grade crossings; exceptions.
- Section 32-5A-152 — Moving heavy equipment at railroad grade crossings.
- Section 32-5A-153 — Emerging from alley, driveway or building.
- Section 32-5A-154 — Overtaking and passing school bus or church bus.
- Section 32-5A-155 — Visual signals on school and church buses.
Article 8 Speed Restrictions.
- Section 32-5A-170 — Reasonable and prudent speed.
- Section 32-5A-171 — Maximum limits.
- Section 32-5A-172 — Establishment of state speed zones.
- Section 32-5A-173 — When local authorities may and shall alter maximum limits.
- Section 32-5A-174 — Minimum speed regulation.
- Section 32-5A-175 — Special speed limitation on motor-driven cycles.
- Section 32-5A-176 — Special speed limitation over bridge or elevated structure; conclusive evidence of speed.
- Section 32-5A-176.1 — Speed limits in construction zones.
- Section 32-5A-177 — Charging violations; burden of proof in civil actions; arrest for violation of speed laws communicated from officer operating measuring device to another officer; testimony derived from use of speed measuring device.
- Section 32-5A-178 — Racing on highways; penalties.
Article 9 Serious Traffic Offenses.
- Section 32-5A-190 — Reckless driving.
- Section 32-5A-191 — Driving while under influence of alcohol, controlled substances, etc.
- Section 32-5A-191.1 — (Repealed effective October 1, 1997) Additional fines on persons convicted of offenses involving driving under the influence.
- Section 32-5A-191.2 — Administration and disposition of moneys in Impaired Drivers Trust Fund.
- Section 32-5A-191.3 — Operation of vessel and other marine devices while under influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
- Section 32-5A-192 — Homicide by vehicle or vessel.
- Section 32-5A-193 — Fleeing or attempting to elude police officer.
- Section 32-5A-194 — Chemical tests; admissible as evidence; procedure for valid chemical analyses; permits for individuals performing analyses; persons qualified to withdraw blood; presumptions based on percent of alcohol in blood; refusal to submit; no liability for technician.
- Section 32-5A-194.1 — Effect of certification permits issued by State Board of Health; effect of rules and regulations enacted by State Board of Health.
- Section 32-5A-195 — Cancellation, suspension or revocation of driver's license; grounds, procedure, etc.
Article 9A Safe Streets Act.
- Section 32-5A-200 — Short title.
- Section 32-5A-201 — Legislative findings.
- Section 32-5A-202 — Definitions.
- Section 32-5A-203 — Seizure and forfeiture of vehicle driven by person driving while license suspended or revoked.
- Section 32-5A-204 — Court to inform defendant convicted of violating §32-5A-191 that vehicle subject to forfeiture if driven on highway.
- Section 32-5A-205 — Enactment of ordinance which provides for administrative sanctions involving impoundment of vehicles.
Article 10 Pedestrians' Rights and Duties.
- Section 32-5A-210 — Pedestrian obedience to traffic-control devices and traffic regulations.
- Section 32-5A-211 — Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.
- Section 32-5A-212 — Crossing at other than crosswalks.
- Section 32-5A-213 — Drivers to exercise care.
- Section 32-5A-214 — Pedestrians to use right half of crosswalks.
- Section 32-5A-215 — Pedestrians on roadways.
- Section 32-5A-216 — Pedestrian soliciting rides or business or fishing.
- Section 32-5A-217 — Driving through safety zone prohibited.
- Section 32-5A-218 — Pedestrians' right-of-way on sidewalks.
- Section 32-5A-219 — Pedestrians to yield to authorized emergency vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-220 — Right-of-way to blind persons, guide dogs in training.
- Section 32-5A-221 — Pedestrians under influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Section 32-5A-222 — Bridge and railroad signals.
Article 11 Motorcycles.
- Section 32-5A-240 — Traffic laws apply to persons operating motorcycles.
- Section 32-5A-241 — Riding on motorcycles.
- Section 32-5A-242 — Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.
- Section 32-5A-243 — Clinging to other vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-244 — Footrests and handlebars.
- Section 32-5A-245 — Headgear and shoes required for motorcycle riders; approval of headgear; responsibility for juvenile riders; sale of helmets.
Article 12 Bicycles and Play Vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-260 — Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles.
- Section 32-5A-261 — Riding on bicycles.
- Section 32-5A-262 — Clinging to vehicles.
- Section 32-5A-263 — Riding on roadways and bicycle paths.
- Section 32-5A-264 — Carrying articles.
- Section 32-5A-265 — Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.
- Section 32-5A-266 — Violations of article as misdemeanor; responsibility of parent or guardian; applicability of article.
Article 13 Bicycle Safety.
- Section 32-5A-280 — Short title.
- Section 32-5A-281 — Definitions.
- Section 32-5A-282 — Purpose.
- Section 32-5A-283 — Unlawful for person to use bicycle under certain conditions.
- Section 32-5A-284 — Duties of person regularly engaged in business of renting bicyles.
- Section 32-5A-285 — Statewide bicycle safety education program; manner violations handled.
- Section 32-5A-286 — Establishment of more comprehensive bicycle safety program by ordinance.
Article 14 Suspension of Driving Privileges for Alcohol Related Offenses.
- Section 32-5A-300 — Determinations requiring suspension of driving privileges by director; basis for, and finality of, determination; relationship to disposition of criminal charges.
- Section 32-5A-301 — Report of arresting officer.
- Section 32-5A-302 — Determination by director; notice.
- Section 32-5A-303 — Notice of intended suspension.
- Section 32-5A-304 — Period of suspension; relation to Section 32-5A-191.
- Section 32-5A-305 — Minimum periods of suspension; reinstatement.
- Section 32-5A-306 — Administrative review.
- Section 32-5A-307 — Administrative hearing.
- Section 32-5A-308 — Judicial review.
- Section 32-5A-309 — Applicability of article.
Article 15 Possession of Open Container of Alcoholic Beverages in Motor Vehicle Prohibited.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.