2006 Alabama Code - Section 30-3-2 — Custody and education of children upon voluntary separation of husband and wife.

(a) In all cases of voluntary separation of husband and wife, the circuit court has power, on the motion of either party, 20 days' notice thereof being given to the other, to permit either the father or mother to have the custody and control of the children and to superintend and direct their education, having regard to the prudence, ability and fitness of the parents, and the age and sex of the children.

(b) Upon the hearing of the motion, witnesses may be examined orally or testimony may be taken as in other civil actions. While the application is pending, the court may direct an injunction or make any order that the safety and well-being of the wife or children may require.

(Code 1852, §§2006, 2007; Code 1867, §§2397, 2398; Code 1876, §§2746, 2747; Code 1886, §§2368, 2369; Code 1896, §§2536, 2537; Code 1907, §§4503, 4504; Code 1923, §§8278, 8279; Code 1940, T. 34, §§79, 80.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.