2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 5 — WORKERS\' COMPENSATION.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 25-5-1 — Definitions.
- Section 25-5-2 — Powers and duties of Director of Industrial Relations with respect to administration of chapter generally; "director" defined.
- Section 25-5-3 — Director to prepare and distribute forms, etc.
- Section 25-5-4 — Reports and records of injuries for which compensation claimed.
- Section 25-5-5 — Reports of settlements.
- Section 25-5-6 — Circuit court clerks to report disposition of cases.
- Section 25-5-7 — Supplementary reports as to initiation, cessation, etc., of compensation payments.
- Section 25-5-8 — Employers' options to secure payment of compensation.
- Section 25-5-9 — Pooling of employers' liabilities for qualification as self-insurers.
- Section 25-5-10 — Liabilities of persons engaged in schemes, etc., to avoid liability to workers.
- Section 25-5-11 — Actions against third parties jointly liable with employers for injuries or death; actions for injury or death resulting from willful conduct; attorney's fees in settlements with third parties.
- Section 25-5-11.1 — Employee not to be terminated solely for action to recover benefits nor for filing notice of safety rule violation.
- Section 25-5-12 — Chief Justice of Supreme Court to prepare uniform rules for circuit courts.
- Section 25-5-13 — Applicability of chapter.
- Section 25-5-14 — Legislative findings and intent as to actions filed by injured employee against officers, etc., of same employer.
- Section 25-5-15 — Safety committee.
- Section 25-5-15.1 — State safety program; legislative intent; creation.
- Section 25-5-17 — Severability.
Article 2 Compensation by Civil Action.
- Section 25-5-30 — Applicability of article; article deemed extension or modification of common law.
- Section 25-5-31 — Right of action for damages for injuries or death of employee.
- Section 25-5-32 — Excluded defenses.
- Section 25-5-33 — Applicability of Sections 25-5-31 and 25-5-32 to other claims for personal injury or death.
- Section 25-5-34 — Applicability of this article and Article 3 of chapter to minors; double compensation when minor illegally employed.
- Section 25-5-35 — Recovery where accident occurs outside state; effect of compensation under law of another state, etc., upon compensation under this article and Article 3 of chapter, etc.; recovery under this article and Article 3 of chapter for accident occurring within state where employment principally localized outside state.
- Section 25-5-36 — Burden of proof as to misconduct of employee.
Article 3 Elective Compensation Under Contract of Employment.
- Section 25-5-50 — Articles not applicable to certain employers; exemption for corporate officers and independent contractors; coverage for school boards and volunteer fire departments and rescue squads; licensed real estate agent and product demonstrator not employee.
- Section 25-5-51 — Right to compensation for injuries or death; grounds for denial of compensation.
- Section 25-5-52 — Manner of compensation, etc., provided by chapter exclusive.
- Section 25-5-53 — Rights and remedies of employees, etc., exclusive; civil and criminal liability of employers, etc.
- Section 25-5-54 — Presumptions as to applicability and acceptance of provisions of articles.
- Section 25-5-55 — Rights and powers of minors under article generally; effect of payment of awards to minors.
- Section 25-5-56 — Settlements between parties.
- Section 25-5-57 — Compensation for disability.
- Section 25-5-58 — Effect of preexisting injuries or infirmities.
- Section 25-5-59 — Waiting period for compensation; penalty for overdue compensation payments.
- Section 25-5-60 — Compensation for death.
- Section 25-5-61 — Persons presumed wholly dependent.
- Section 25-5-62 — Total dependents — Designated; order of compensation.
- Section 25-5-63 — Total dependents — Maximum compensation.
- Section 25-5-64 — Partial dependents.
- Section 25-5-65 — Compensation of orphans or other children.
- Section 25-5-66 — Disposition of compensation upon remarriage of widow of employee who has another dependent.
- Section 25-5-67 — Burial expenses.
- Section 25-5-68 — Maximum and minimum weekly compensation.
- Section 25-5-69 — Compensation to cease upon death or marriage of dependent; proportional benefits for dependents.
- Section 25-5-76 — Liability of joint employers.
- Section 25-5-77 — Expenses of medical and surgical treatment, vocational rehabilitation, medicine, etc.; medical examinations; review by ombudsman of medical services.
- Section 25-5-78 — Written notice to employer of accident — Required.
- Section 25-5-79 — Written notice to employer of accident — Service and contents.
- Section 25-5-80 — Limitation period for claims or actions for compensation.
- Section 25-5-81 — Determination of disputed compensation claims generally.
- Section 25-5-82 — Compensation for death to be paid only to United States residents.
- Section 25-5-83 — Commutation of compensation to lump sum payments.
- Section 25-5-84 — Modification of payments.
- Section 25-5-85 — Procedure for and effect of payment of compensation to court appointed trustee.
- Section 25-5-86 — Remedy for default upon periodic compensation payments; exemption of compensation claims, etc., from garnishment, etc.
- Section 25-5-87 — Preference of right to compensation, etc.
- Section 25-5-88 — Proceedings for determination of disputed claims for compensation — Commencement of action, etc.
- Section 25-5-89 — Proceedings for determination of disputed claims for compensation — Costs and fees.
- Section 25-5-90 — Proceedings for determination of disputed claims for compensation — Attorney's fees.
- Section 25-5-91 — Forwarding of copy of judgment, etc., to probate court; creation of judgment lien.
- Section 25-5-92 — Discharge of lien upon judgment payable periodically.
- Section 25-5-93 — Judgments discharged and marked satisfied upon proof of release or satisfaction of judgment.
Article 4 Compensation for Occupational Diseases.
- Section 25-5-110 — Definitions.
- Section 25-5-111 — Right to compensation for death or disablement.
- Section 25-5-112 — Presumptions as to applicability and acceptance of provisions of article.
- Section 25-5-113 — Manner of compensation, etc., provided by article exclusive.
- Section 25-5-114 — Rights and remedies of employees, etc., under article exclusive; civil and criminal liability of employers, etc.
- Section 25-5-115 — False written representation to employer as to previous compensation for occupational disease.
- Section 25-5-116 — Which employer liable for compensation of employee; contribution.
- Section 25-5-117 — Limitation period for claims or actions for compensation.
- Section 25-5-118 — Rights and remedies as to exposures to hazards of occupational disease occurring prior to September 1, 1971.
- Section 25-5-119 — Computation of compensation and benefits payable under article.
- Section 25-5-120 — Presumptions and burden of proof as to right to compensation.
- Section 25-5-121 — Settlements between parties; determination of disputed compensation claims.
- Section 25-5-122 — Applicability of article.
- Section 25-5-123 — Applicability of other provisions of chapter to article.
Article 5 Compensation for Occupational Pneumoconiosis Generally.
Article 6 Compensation for Pneumoconiosis of Coal Miners.
Article 7 Compensation for Occupational Exposure to Radiation.
- Section 25-5-190 — Definitions.
- Section 25-5-191 — Right to compensation for injury or death.
- Section 25-5-192 — Presumptions as to applicability and acceptance of provisions of article.
- Section 25-5-193 — Manner of compensation, etc., provided by article exclusive.
- Section 25-5-194 — Rights and remedies of employees, etc., under article exclusive; civil and criminal liability of employers, etc.
- Section 25-5-195 — False written representation to employer as to previous compensation for exposure to radiation.
- Section 25-5-196 — Which employer liable for compensation of employee; contribution not required from nonliable employer.
- Section 25-5-197 — Limitation period for claims or actions for compensation.
- Section 25-5-198 — Rights and remedies as to exposures to hazards of radiation occurring prior to September 7, 1967.
- Section 25-5-199 — Computation of compensation and benefits payable under article.
- Section 25-5-200 — Presumptions and burden of proof as to right to compensation.
- Section 25-5-201 — Settlements between parties; determination of disputed compensation claims.
- Section 25-5-202 — Applicability of article.
- Section 25-5-203 — Applicability of other provisions of chapter to article.
Article 8 Offenses and Penalties.
- Section 25-5-226 — Solicitation of employment or acceptance of solicited employment by attorneys.
- Section 25-5-227 — Solicitation of claims or representation of claimants by persons not authorized to practice law.
- Section 25-5-229 — Solicitation or writing of workers' compensation insurance by insurance companies, etc., not in compliance with Code.
- Section 25-5-231 — Acceptance of assignment of employee compensation claim, etc.
Article 9 Alabama Workmen's Compensation Self-Insurers Guaranty Association.
- Section 25-5-250 — Creation; purpose; powers.
- Section 25-5-251 — Membership requirements.
- Section 25-5-252 — Board of directors; eligibility; length of term; vacancies; reimbursement; registered agent.
- Section 25-5-253 — Bylaws.
- Section 25-5-254 — Annual assessments for administration of association.
- Section 25-5-255 — Insolvency fund.
- Section 25-5-256 — Association subject to examination and regulation by Department of Industrial Relations.
- Section 25-5-257 — Assessments deductible as business expenses.
Article 10 Insurance with Optional Deductibles.
- Section 25-5-270 — Certain employers authorized to purchase insurance with optional deductibles.
- Section 25-5-271 — Optional deductibles to be offered in policy; exception.
- Section 25-5-272 — Premium reduction to be determined before application of experience modification, premium surcharge, etc.
- Section 25-5-273 — Applicability.
Article 11 Ombudsman Program.
- Section 25-5-290 — Ombudsman program, creation; purpose; members; notification of service; benefit review conferences.
- Section 25-5-291 — Benefit review conferences.
- Section 25-5-292 — Resolution of disputes, settlement agreements; written reports; interlocutory orders; final determinations of liability.
- Section 25-5-293 — Duties of director; continuing education, accounting; recovery of expenses; advisory committees; legislative intent regarding reimbursements.
- Section 25-5-294 — Communications, etc. privileged; documentation; release of records or information; penalty for obtaining information under false pretenses.
Article 12 Workers' Compensation Medical Services Board.
- Section 25-5-310 — Definitions.
- Section 25-5-311 — Workers' Compensation Medical Services Board; creation, members, functions.
- Section 25-5-312 — Powers and duties of the board.
- Section 25-5-313 — Schedule of maximum fees.
- Section 25-5-314 — Contracts for medical services at mutually agreed rates.
- Section 25-5-315 — Immunity from liability.
- Section 25-5-316 — Workers' Compensation Administrative Trust Fund; creation; management; trustee and custodian; assessments; penalties.
- Section 25-5-317 — Assessment of pro rata share; disposition of unexpended balance.
- Section 25-5-318 — One-time discount to small employers.
Article 13 Drug-free Workplace Program.
- Section 25-5-330 — Legislative intent.
- Section 25-5-331 — Definitions.
- Section 25-5-332 — Premium discount where drug-free workplace program implemented.
- Section 25-5-333 — Elements of program.
- Section 25-5-334 — Notice of testing; written policy statement.
- Section 25-5-335 — Types of tests; procedures for specimen collection and testing; laboratory; confirmation of tests.
- Section 25-5-336 — Employee assistance program or resource file of employee assistance providers.
- Section 25-5-337 — Semiannual education program; supervisor training.
- Section 25-5-338 — Construction of article.
- Section 25-5-339 — Confidentiality of information.
- Section 25-5-340 — Department of Industrial Relations to perform administrative duties for certification of employers.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.