Khomyshyn v. Holder, No. 10-3973 (7th Cir. 2011)

Annotate this Case
Justia Opinion Summary

The petitioners in consolidated cases have been in the U.S. for many years without permission, and each would like to adjust his status to that of lawful permanent resident through relatives who are legitimately in the U.S. The IJ found each ineligible because of the lack of an approved family-relative petition, Form I-130. Each asked for a continuance. The IJ denied the request and ordered removal. The Seventh Circuit denied appeal after first determining that it had jurisdiction over the rulings on continuances. Appeal from revocation of an I-130 petition by one petitioner's son has already been denied, so a continuance would serve no purpose. The IJ provided a sound reason in the other case; the petitioner's four-year delay.

Download PDF
In the United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit No. 10 2795 RICARDO YONZON CALMA, Petitioner, v. ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., Attorney General of the United States, Respondent. Petition for Review of an Order of the   Board of Immigration Appeals. No. A026 702 335  ARGUED JUNE 14, 2011 DECIDED DECEMBER 5, 2011* No. 10 3973 OLEH KHOMYSHYN, Petitioner, v. ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., Attorney General of the United States, Respondent. *  This opinion is released in typescript; a printed version will follow. 2 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 Petition for Review of an Order of the Board of Immigration Appeals. No. A088 187 224  SUBMITTED JUNE 14, 2011** DECIDED DECEMBER 5, 2011*** Before POSNER, ROVNER, and WOOD, Circuit Judges. WOOD, Circuit Judge.  The petitioners in these consolidated cases,  Ricardo  Calma  and  Oleh  Khomyshyn,  have  a  great deal  in  common.  Both  have  been  in  the  United  States  for many  years  without  permission,  and  each  would  like  to adjust  his  status  to  that  of  lawful  permanent  resident through relatives who are legitimately in the United States. When  the  time  came  for  an  immigration  judge  to  issue  a decision, each was found ineligible for permanent residence because of the lack of an approved family relative petition, Form I 130. Confronted with that obstacle, they asked the IJs to continue the removal proceedings, but the IJs denied those requests and ordered removal. We have consolidated their petitions for review. Although we are satisfied that we have jurisdiction  over  those  petitions,  we  find  no  abuse  of discretion  in  the  judges   rulings  and  thus  deny  both petitions. **  This court granted Khomyshyn s unopposed motion to waive oral argument. The case is therefore submitted on the briefs.  ***  This opinion is released in typescript; a printed version will follow. Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 3 I A Calma  is  a  citizen  of  the  Philippines  who  came  to  the United  States  as  a  temporary  worker  in  1982.  In  1986  he married Pamela Fuoss, a U.S. citizen, and she filed an I 130 petition on his behalf. But during her interview in support of the application and later in an affidavit, Fuoss admitted that she  married  Calma  only  so  that  he  could  remain  in  the United  States.  She  withdrew  her  petition,  prompting  the legacy  Immigration  and  Naturalization  Services  to  place Calma in deportation proceedings before an IJ. After Calma failed to show up, the INS administratively closed the case in September 1987. Calma reemerged 18 years later, in April 2005, when his son Roderick, a U.S. citizen, filed a second I 130 petition on his behalf. The Department of Homeland Security approved Roderick s  petition  in  July  of  that  year,  and  in  September Calma moved to restore his earlier deportation hearing (by this  time  called  a  removal  proceeding)  to  the  calendar. Calma indicated that once the proceeding was active again, he would apply for permanent residence based on his son s approved I 130 petition. Calma s petition to restore the case was successful, though as we shall see, a Pyrrhic victory. IJ Zerbe held a deportation hearing, at which the judge found that Calma was deportable for  overstaying  his  visa,  as  charged  in  the  1987 administrative closure order. Calma informed the IJ that he was working to obtain an adjustment of status through his son. In response, the IJ continued the hearing for a year to give Calma time to apply for his adjustment of status and to give the government an opportunity to perform necessary background  checks.  At  the  next  hearing,  the  government informed  Calma  that  it  intended  to  revoke  his  son s  I 130 petition  based  on  the  fraudulent  marriage  in  1986.  The  IJ continued the matter a second time to await the resolution of the revocation proceedings. 4 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 The  month  before  Calma s  next  hearing,  DHS  revoked Roderick s  I 130  petition  after  concluding  that  Calma married  Fuoss  for  immigration  benefits.  The  agency determined that the rebuttal evidence that Calma submitted, including affidavits from Calma, his current wife, and the couple who arranged the sham marriage, failed to refute the 1987  affidavit  filed  by  Fuoss  admitting  the  fraud.  DHS concluded  that  the  1986  marriage  was  not  valid  for immigration purposes,  and that Calma s fraud was a  good and sufficient  reason to deny his son s I 130 petition. With the I 130 petition revoked, Calma no longer had a basis for seeking permanent residence in  the United States. At that point, he asked for a continuance so that he could appeal the decision to revoke to the Board. The IJ accommodated this request with a postponement until October 24, 2008. Unfortunately,  when  Calma  returned  on  that  date,  the Board still had not resolved his appeal from the revocation of  the  I 130  petition.  Calma  asked  for  yet  another continuance, but this time the IJ s patience was at an end. Commenting that he did not believe that any further delay was  warranted,  he  denied  this  last  postponement  and ordered Calma removed. The  Board  dismissed  Calma s  appeal  from  the  order denying  the  continuance  in  July  2010.  It  found  that  the pending I 130 appeal was insufficient cause for granting the continuance.  Moreover,  the  Board  continued,  Calma  was unable to show prejudice to his application for permanent residence because he presented no evidence that his appeal from the revocation of the I 130 petition had been successful. (This was putting it mildly; in fact, five months earlier the Board  had  dismissed  Calma s  appeal  of  the  revoked  visa petition, citing Calma s fraudulent marriage. Calma did not petition for review of that decision.) The petition for review now  before  us  in  No.  10 2795  is  from  this  decision  of  the Board.  This  was  a  final  decision  that  discussed  only  the continuance  question;  its  practical  effect  was  to  leave undisturbed the IJ s decision that Calma was removable as charged. Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 5 B Khomyshyn s case is somewhat less complicated. He is a citizen of Ukraine who came to the United States on a tourist visa  in  2000.  He  appeared  at  his  first  hearing  before  an immigration  judge  in  March  2009  and  asked  IJ  Zerbe  to continue  his  case  so  that  his  wife,  who  was  herself  a permanent  U.S.  resident  at  the  time,  could  file  an  I 130 petition on his behalf. Khomyshyn explained that they were waiting  to  submit  the  petition  until  his  wife  became  a naturalized citizen, a status she would have been eligible to begin seeking five months later. (Oddly, the record is silent about  her  later  actions.  More  than  two  years  have  passed since  the  IJ s  decision,  but  Khomyshyn  has  not  revealed whether his wife has since naturalized. He concedes that at the time of briefing the immediate relative petition had not been submitted.) He urged that as the spouse of a citizen he would be immediately eligible for adjustment of status, but as the spouse of a permanent resident he would be subject to DHS s  priority date  system and would thus have to wait several years before becoming eligible for this relief.  The  IJ  denied  the  continuance  request  and  ordered Khomyshyn removed. The IJ noted that Khomyshyn s wife had not yet filed an immediate relative petition on his behalf and concluded that even if she had, a continuance would still be inappropriate because, as a permanent resident, it would take  more  than  four  years  for  her  to  confer  a  benefit  on Khomyshyn. Although the IJ recognized that the wait would be  reduced  if  Khomyshyn s  wife  became  a  citizen,  he thought it  inappropriate to assume that she would qualify for . . . naturalization.  In general terms, the IJ explained that he  considered  it  improper  to  continue  a  case  so  that  the alien can at some future unknown date accrue or develop an equity which would qualify him for relief from removal, particularly  in  light  of  the  agency s  goal  that  IJs  complete cases within 18 months.  Khomyshyn s appeal to the Board challenged only the IJ s order denying his request for a continuance until he could 6 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 establish his eligibility for adjustment of status. The Board noted that he did not otherwise challenge his removability. Exercising  de  novo  review,  it  affirmed  the  IJ s  decision  to deny the continuance request. In so doing, it highlighted the IJ s  decision  to  deny  the  continuance  request  because [Khomyshyn s] wife had not yet filed the I 130  and the fact that Khomyshyn  could not establish visa availability as the spouse of a lawful permanent resident.  This reasoning, the Board concluded, was consistent with the approach it had announced in Matter of Hashmi, 24 I. & N. Dec. 785, 790 91 (B.I.A.  2009),  a  precedential  decision  providing  a  non exhaustive  list  of  factors  that  IJs  should  consider  when deciding a request for a continuance. The Board criticized the IJ for taking into account his case completion goals, but it concluded that remand was not necessary because that factor was  not  the  IJ s  primary  consideration.  Khomyshyn s petition for review, No. 10 3973, seeks relief from the final decision  of  the  Board  refusing  a  continuance  and  thus ordering his removal. II Both petitioners argue that the IJ (coincidentally, the same one)  abused  his  discretion  in  denying  their  requested continuances. But before we address that question, we must decide whether we have jurisdiction over these two petitions for  review.  In  Kucana  v.  Holder,  130  S.  Ct.  827  (2010),  the Supreme Court held that the jurisdiction stripping language of 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) did not apply to actions of the Attorney  General  made  discretionary  by  regulation,  as opposed to statute. This led to a ruling in Kucana itself that judicial review of a motion to reopen removal proceedings in which the petitioner sought asylum was available, albeit only for abuse of discretion. This was so despite the fact that the ultimate question   whether to reopen   rests firmly within the Attorney General s discretion. The  BIA  must  reach  a  final   decision  on  the  overall removal  proceeding  before  a  petition  may  be  filed  in  this Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 7 court,  see  8  U.S.C.  §  1252(a)(1)  (providing  for  [j]udicial review of a final order of removal ), but no one disputes that it has done so in both of the cases before us, even though the central  legal  issue  relates  to  the  continuances.  A  final judgment  in  a  civil  case  in  federal  court  is  also  normally necessary  before  an  appeal  may  be  taken  to  the  court  of appeals, see 28 U.S.C. § 1291, but that does not mean that the appellant is limited to making arguments about the ultimate merits  of  the  case.  We  review  bottom line  judgments    a point  that  is  well  illustrated  by  the  rule  permitting  us  to affirm  on  a  basis  not  argued,  as  long  as  it  finds  proper support in the record. See, e.g., Ruth v. Triumph Partnerships, 577 F.3d 790, 797 (7th Cir. 2009); Winters v.  Fru Con Inc., 498 F.3d 734, 743 (7th Cir. 2007).  Interim rulings and alternative theories alike are folded into the final judgment, and so the appellant  may  assert  that  the  district  court  should  have relied on a different ground, or granted a continuance, or denied a motion in limine, or compelled certain discovery. Just so here: Calma and Khomyshyn now face final orders of removal,  but  their  petitions  do  not  attack  the  merits  of Board s decisions not to adjust their status. If they did, we would be compelled to dismiss both petitions for review for want  of  jurisdiction.  Instead,  Calma  and  Khomyshyn  are asserting  that  the  IJ  ruled  prematurely;  they  want continuances not for the purpose of digging up evidence that already  exists,  but  to  allow  time  for  other  agencies  to complete  their  work.  They  argue  that,  at  least  in  this situation, a challenge to the denial of the continuance is not covered by the jurisdiction stripping rule. This is a point that deserves close attention.  In Calma s case, the government assumes without analysis that Kucana supports this court s jurisdiction and that our review is under the deferential abuse of discretion standard. In  Khomyshyn s  case,  in  contrast,  the  government  has argued that Kucana holds only that our jurisdiction was not eliminated  by  8  U.S.C.  §  1252(a)(2)(B)(ii),  which  removes jurisdiction to review a decision of the Attorney General  the authority for which is specified under this subchapter to be 8 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 in the discretion of the Attorney General.  In Juarez v. Holder, 599 F.3d 560 (7th Cir. 2010), however, decided two months after  Kucana,  we  commented  that  Kucana  did  not  affect  8 U.S.C.  §  1252(a)(2)(B)(i),  which  removes  jurisdiction  over any judgment regarding the granting of relief under section 1182(h), 1182(i), 1229b, 1229c, or 1255 of this title.  See also Leguizamo Medina v. Gonzales, 493 F.3d 772 (7th Cir. 2007). In both of the cases before us, the ultimate decision (adjustment of  status)  is  governed  by  one  of  the  statutes  listed  in section  1252(a)(2)(B)(i)    specifically,  section  1255,  which governs adjustment of status   and so the question before us is  whether  we  have  jurisdiction  to  review  the  denial  of  a continuance  sought  for  the  purpose  of  deferring  final decision in that kind of case. Although Kucana is informative, it does not definitively resolve this issue. Indeed, the Court specifically  left  open  the  question  whether  review  of [decisions  made  discretionary  by  regulation]  would  be precluded if the court would lack jurisdiction over the alien s underlying claim for relief.  Kucana, 130 S. Ct. at 839 n.17.  The government argues that because Khomyshyn s request for a continuance is  ancillary  to his underlying request for adjustment of status (and it might have said the same about Calma),  this  court  lacks  jurisdiction  under  8  U.S.C.  § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i). It finds support for this position in our pre Kucana  decisions  in  Leguizamo Medina,  supra;  Martinez Maldonado  v.  Gonzales,  437  F.3d  679,  683  (7th  Cir.  2006) (precluding  judicial  review  over  motions  to  reopen  or reconsider where court lacked ability to review underlying claim); and Dave v. Ashcroft, 363 F.3d 649, 652 (7th Cir. 2004) (same). It also points to two post Kucana decisions, Juarez,  599 F.3d 560, and Pawlowska v. Holder, 623 F.3d 1138 (7th Cir. 2010), both of which it reads as adopting a broad reading of Leguizamo Medina. A closer look at Juarez and Pawlowska and similar decisions in other circuits, however, reveals that the rule may not be as absolute as the government suggests. The rationale of our decision in Subhan v. Ashcroft, 383 F.3d 591 (7th Cir. 2004), also points toward a more nuanced approach to this question.  Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 9 The best starting point for evaluating these arguments is with the decision in Leguizamo Medina. In that case, decided three years before Kucana, petitioner Leguizamo Medina had applied  for  adjustment  of  status  as  the  spouse  of  a  U.S. citizen. At the hearing evidence emerged suggesting that the marriage was a sham.  Leguizamo Medina s husband then withdrew  his  immediate  relative  petition,  but  later  he submitted a new affidavit swearing that the marriage was genuine.  The  IJ  resolved  matters  with  a  finding  that  the marriage  was  phony;  this  meant  that  Leguizamo Medina was not of good moral character and thus was not entitled to cancellation of removal under 8 U.S.C. § 1229b (one of the statutes mentioned in § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i)). The BIA agreed, and the petitioner then advanced to this court.  We acknowledged that questions of law were reviewable  pursuant  to  §  1252(a)(2)(D),  but  we  pointed  out  that Leguizamo Medina was raising only two arguments: first, that the IJ should have believed her testimony rather than her husband s, and second, that the IJ abused his discretion by declining to grant a continuance so that the  husband s sister could testify. 493 F.3d at 774. We characterized both of those arguments as factual and thus concluded that neither fell within the scope of § 1252(a)(2)(D). We commented on the issue that was eventually resolved in Kucana (whether subpart  (B)(ii)  bars  review  only  of  decisions  made discretionary by statute), but put that to one side since the relevant subpart for her case was (B)(i). The latter subsection, we said,  forecloses all review of decisions denying requests for cancellation of removal.  We then continued as follows: When an alien seeks not deferral of final decision, but just  an  opportunity  to  present  more  evidence,  it  is difficult to see how one could  review the denial of a continuance   at  all.  The  thing  being  reviewed  (when review is authorized) is the agency s final decision (here, a decision not to cancel the petitioner s removal). In an appeal from a district court, we don t  affirm the order sustaining the hearsay objection  or anything similar; we review  the  final  decision  (see  28  U.S.C.  §  1291)  to 10 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 determine  whether  the  steps  leading  to  that  decision were erroneous (and, if erroneous, whether they were harmless).  Just  so  here    with  the  difference  that § 242(a)(2)(B)(i) puts the decision beyond review, and thus insulates the choices leading to that decision. When a decision is unreviewable, any opinion one way or the other  on  the  propriety  of  the  steps  that  led  to  that decision would be an advisory opinion. Id. at 775.  This  rationale,  as  the  Leguizamo Medina  court  implicitly acknowledged, is in real tension with the holding in Subhan. There  we  considered  the  question  whether  section 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) barred consideration of an IJ s refusal to grant a  continuance  to  an  alien  who  was  waiting  for  the Department of Labor to issue a certificate allowing him to be employed  in  the  United  States.  383  F.3d  at  593.  The  only comment the judge made as he ruled on Subhan s request was that Subhan might eventually be able to acquire lawful permanent resident status based on his employment, but that he was not eligible yet for that relief. This, as we pointed out, was a statement of the obvious. It was a description of what was going on, rather than an explanation or a reason. In finding this decision reviewable, and outside the bar of (B)(i), we observed that Subhan was not asking us to review an  adjustment of status  decision    something  that  would have been barred by section 1255. Instead, he was asking us to review the propriety of the continuance   that is to say, whether the Board s decision to render its final ruling on the merits  of  the  1255  petition  when  it  did  was  procedurally sustainable.  (Part  of  our  opinion  examined  the  question whether  review  was  barred  by  (B)(ii),  but  that  is  of  no moment in the present case.) We concluded that Congress would  not  have  wanted  to  place  beyond  judicial  review decisions  by  the  immigration  authorities  that  nullif[y]  the statute.   383  F.3d  at  595.  Otherwise,  immigration  judges [could] with impunity refuse to grant one week continuances to persons in Subhan s position. And that would sound the Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 11 death knell for the request, since unlike most grounds for adjustment of status, adjustments based on employment, like those based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, cannot be pursued once the alien has been removed from the United States.  Id. An allegation that the agency has  nullified  a statute surely raises a legal question, cognizable under § 1252(a)(2)(D). That conclusion alone would be enough to permit us to see if  a  comparable  problem  taints  either  Calma s  or Khomyshyn s cases. There is more, however, that must be said about the logic of the excerpt from Leguizamo Medina that we have reproduced above. It is true, as the government argues,  that  Juarez  and  Pawlowska  appear  at  first  blush  to reaffirm  Leguizamo Medina  even  after  Kucana.  But  there  is reason to question this conclusion. In Juarez, we noted that in cases  where  jurisdiction  exists  to  review  the  underlying claim for relief, Kucana now requires the review of denied continuances for abuse of discretion. See 599 F.3d at 564 65. It  was  only  in  a  footnote  that  the  court  suggested  that Leguizamo Medina was  unaffected by Kucana.  Id. at 565 n.4. More importantly, Juarez was a case in which the petitioners sought  various forms of relief from removal,  at least one of which   asylum   was subject to judicial review. 599 F.3d at 561.  The  comment  about  Leguizamo Medina  was  thus unnecessary to the outcome. There is also less to Pawlowska than  meets  the  eye.  There,  although  the  IJ  had  denied  a continuance  where  the  underlying  request  was  for adjustment of status to permanent residence, there was no need  for  this  court  to  decide  whether  that  denial  was reviewable, because the IJ had made clear that he intended to exercise his discretion to deny the request for adjustment because of previous visa fraud in any event. 623 F.3d at 1140. Only  after  concluding  that  this  merits based  reason  was sufficient  to  preclude  review  did  the  court  comment  that Leguizamo Medina bars review of a continuance decision that is  ancillary  to any of the forms of relief mentioned in (B)(i).  Other  circuits  have  also  stopped  short  of  adopting  the strong  version  of  Leguizamo Medina.  They  have acknowledged  an  inability  to  review  analogous  cases 12 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 without concluding that the absence of jurisdiction over the merits  of  the  final  relief  sought  always  bars  review  of procedural  requests  like  motions  for  a  continuance  or  to reopen. See, e.g., Alzainati v. Holder, 568 F.3d 844, 849 50 (10th Cir.  2009)  (finding  jurisdictional  significance,  for § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) purposes, in the ground on which the BIA bases its decision, reserving possibility of an embedded due process or other legal question); Vargas v. Holder, 567 F.3d 387, 390 (8th Cir. 2009) (considering implications of a broad view  of  jurisdiction stripping  under  (B)(i)  for  motions  to reopen a proceeding seeking relief for which review would be unavailable, and rejecting such a rule); Obioha v. Gonzales, 431  F.3d  400,  405 06  (4th  Cir.  2005)  (acknowledging  no jurisdiction  to  review  a  decision  to  deny  cancellation  of removal, but noting that the BIA  never got that far  and finding reviewable its decision to deny a request to remand). The common theme that runs through these cases is the importance  of  the  relation  between  the  resolution  of  the procedural  request  and  the  disposition  of  the  underlying claim. The court s inability to review the underlying claim for relief  is, standing alone, an insufficient basis to preclude review  of a related procedural motion. Alzainati, 568 F.3d at 849. Instead, judicial review is foreclosed by § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) only  if  the  agency s  rationale  for  denying  the  procedural request also establishes the petitioner s inability to prevail on the  merits  of  his  underlying  claim.  That  was  the  case  in Pawlowska,  in  which  the  IJ s  decision  rested  on  the petitioner s fraud. See, e.g., Mariuta v. Gonzales, 411 F.3d 361,  365  (2d  Cir.  2005)  ( Where  a  denial  is  based  on  the  BIA s merits deciding   analysis  of  the  alien s  entitlement  to  the ultimate relief sought, the denial [of a motion to reopen] may properly  be  said  to  be  a  decision  under   the  statutory provision providing that ultimate relief. ); Pilica v. Ashcroft, 388 F.3d 941, 948 (6th Cir. 2004) ( [A] motion to reopen that does  not  involve  the  consideration  of  relief  on  the  merits should  not  be  treated  as  regarding   the  granting  of [permanent residence]. ).  In  keeping  with  this  analysis,  we  have  asserted Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 13 jurisdiction to review procedural rulings like continuances in a number of cases decided after Kucana. Thus, for instance, in Vahora v. Holder, 626 F.3d 907 (7th Cir. 2010), we had to decide whether we had jurisdiction to review an IJ s refusal to close a petitioner s case administratively so that it could be joined  with  his  parents   case.  Noting  there  that  Kucana established  the  reviewability  of  an  alien s  request  for  a continuance, we applied similar reasoning to administrative closures. Id. at 918. In Mozdzen v. Holder, 622 F.3d 680 (7th Cir.  2010),  we  exercised  jurisdiction  over  the  denial  of  a continuance in circumstances quite like those we face here  that is, a case in which there is no jurisdiction to review the underlying claim for relief. The Mozdzen petitioners sought a  continuance  to  pursue  cancellation  of  removal  or adjustment of status after having committed visa fraud by falling into the trap laid by the sting known as Operation Durango. Id. at 682; see also Wroblewska v. Holder, No. 10 1618, 2011 WL 3773457 (7th Cir. Aug. 24, 2011). Even though we  would  not  have  been  able  to  review  the  petitioners applications for either cancellation or adjustment of status, see 8 U.S.C. §§ 1229b and 1255, we said that  [w]e review discretionary  decisions  such  as  denials  of  continuances under  the  deferential  abuse  of  discretion  standard.   Id.  at 684. In the end, this did the Mozdzens little good, as we went on to find no abuse of discretion, but this was a ruling on the merits rather than a jurisdictional decision.  We are persuaded that there are identifiable circumstances under  which  a  critical  procedural  step  in  a  removal proceeding, such as the denial of a continuance that is sought for  purposes  of  allowing  another  agency  to  complete  its review,  the  denial  of  a  motion  to  reconsider,  a  refusal  to remand,  or  a  refusal  to  reopen  a  case,  lies  within  our jurisdiction even though we are barred from evaluating the BIA s ultimate decision in the circumstances spelled out in §  1252(a)(2)(B)(i).  [Because  this  opinion  reconciles  several competing lines of authority within the circuit, it has been circulated to all active judges pursuant to Circuit Rule 40(e).  No judge in active service voted to hear these cases en banc.] 14 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 Sometimes review will be possible because, as in Subhan, the challenged action effectively nullifies the statutory scheme and thus for all practical purposes raises a question of law. Sometimes review will be possible because, as in Juarez, the request for the unreviewable relief will be coupled with a request for relief like asylum that is reviewable. If, however, it is impossible to distinguish the challenged action from the determination on the merits, then jurisdiction is lacking and the petition must be dismissed. It is worth recalling that a central theme in Kucana was the importance  of  judicial  review  to  protect  the  procedural fairness of the agency process. As the Supreme Court put it, motions to reopen are a  procedural device serving to ensure that  aliens  are  getting  a  fair  chance  to  have  their  claims heard.  130 S. Ct. at 837. This purpose is, if anything, even more important for aliens like Calma and Khomyshyn who will be strictly barred from seeking review of the denial of their  claims  for  adjustment  of  status.  Kucana  emphasized the presumption favoring judicial review of administrative action.   Id.  at  839.  It  noted  that  [w]hen  a  statute  is reasonably susceptible to divergent interpretation,  it should be construed in a way that permits review. Id. The provision here, § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i), prohibits judicial review of decisions on adjustment of status, but it says nothing about review of antecedent procedural decisions such as continuances that shape the final outcome. We note that our sister circuits have come to conflicting results on the question whether judicial review  is  ever  available  in  cases  where  review  of  the underlying claim for relief is foreclosed. Compare Thimran v. Holder, 599 F.3d 841, 845 (8th Cir. 2010) (yes), with Freeman v. Holder, 596 F.3d 952, 956 n.2 (8th Cir. 2010) (no); and compare Assaad  v.  Ashcroft,  378  F.3d  471,  474  (5th  Cir.  2004)  (per curiam) (no), with Rodriguez, 253 F.3d at 800 (yes, unless the Board addressed the merits of the request for relief).  We should not confuse the unavailability of judicial review with the unimportance of the kinds of relief that are covered by § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i): waivers of inadmissibility (§§ 1182(h) and  1182(i));  cancellation  of  removal  (§  1229b);  voluntary Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 15 departure (§ 1229c), and adjustment of status (§ 1255). These are all measures that Congress has chosen to make available to deserving aliens; it has simply chosen at the same time to make the competent agency s decision on the merits of those types  of  relief  final.  Sometimes,  when  a  continuance  is requested, the court may not even know what is at stake. If, for example, an alien has appeared before an IJ asking both for asylum (a reviewable decision) or voluntary departure (a non reviewable decision), and asks the IJ for a continuance so  that  she  can  decide  which  one  to  pursue,  the  grant  or denial  of  such  a  continuance  can  be  reviewed  without upsetting the ultimate finality of the decision on the merits. Jurisdiction is something that must be ascertainable ex ante; it cannot depend on events that occur months or years after the petition is filed.  In  summary,  decisions  like  the  rulings  on  continuances that Calma and Khomyshyn have challenged, which do not implicate the merits of a final unreviewable order but instead merely defer the resolution of the merits so that the process as a whole can be completed with integrity, may in the right circumstances, and do here, fall within our jurisdiction. Dave v.  Ashcroft,  363  F.3d  649,  if  it  survived  Kucana,  is distinguishable from the cases before us  because all three of the decisions at issue in Dave   a ruling on cancellation of removal,  a  ruling  on  a  motion  to  reconsider  the  denial  of cancellation,  and  a  ruling  on  the  refusal  to  reopen  the proceeding    were  closely  linked  with  the  merits  of  the unreviewable  decision  on  cancellation.  And  Huang  v. Mukasey, 534 F.3d 618 (7th Cir. 2008), relied entirely on the decision in Kucana from this court that the Supreme Court reversed. See 533 F.3d 534 (7th Cir. 2008). Having satisfied ourselves that we have jurisdiction over these petitions, we can move on to the merits. III Unfortunately for both petitioners, our discussion here will be brief. The standard of review, as we have already noted, 16 Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 is one that gives great deference to the responsible IJ.  An IJ has  the  discretion  to  grant  a  continuance  for  good  cause shown,   see  8  C.F.R.  §  1003.29,  but  as  long  as  he  gives  a reason for his decision, this court will uphold the decision unless  it  was  made  without  a  rational  explanation, inexplicably departed from established policies, or rested on an  impermissible  basis  such  as  invidious  discrimination against a particular race or group.  Victor v. Holder, 616 F.3d 705, 708 (7th Cir. 2010), quoting Achacoso Sanchez v. INS, 779 F.2d 1260, 1265 (7th Cir. 1985); see Subhan, 383 F.3d at 595. In addition,  the  principle  of  harmless  error  applies  to administrative proceedings in general, and to immigration rulings  in  particular.  See  Yuan  v.  Att y  Gen.  of  the  United States, 642 F.3d 420, 427 (3d Cir. 2011); Victor, 616 F.3d at 710; Japarkulova v. Holder, 615 F.3d 696, 701 (6th Cir. 2010); Alam v. Gonzales, 438 F.3d 184, 187 88 (2d Cir. 2006); Ngarurih v. Ashcroft, 371 F.3d 182, 191 n.8 (4th Cir. 2004).  In  Calma s  case,  it  is  the  harmless  error  principle  that dooms his effort to move ahead with his petition. The Board has already dismissed Calma s appeal from the revocation of his  son s  I 130  petition.  That  decision  means  that  Calma cannot show prejudice from the IJ s denial of his continuance motion.  Without  the  successful  I 130  petition,  he  cannot adjust his status. See 8 U.S.C. § 1255(a); Lockhart v. Napolitano, 573 F.3d 251, 254 (6th Cir. 2009); Afzal v. Holder, 559 F.3d 677, 678 (7th Cir. 2009); Labojewski v. Gonzales, 407 F.3d 814, 822 (7th  Cir.  2005).  No  amount  of  deferral  of  Calma s proceedings could have any effect on the final outcome. For this reason, his petition for review must be denied. Khomyshyn faces a different problem. The IJ in his case provided  a  sound  reason  for  denying  the  request  for  a continuance.  The  judge  explained  that  four  years  was  too long to wait to allow for Khomyshyn s adjustment, and he refused  to  speculate  about  the  ultimate  eligibility  of Khomyshyn s wife for naturalization (not to mention what steps on her husband s behalf she would or would not take if she attained U.S. citizenship). Khomyshyn argues that the IJ ignored his argument that his wife would soon be eligible Nos. 10 2795 & 10 3973 17 for citizenship, but the record does not support him. The IJ explicitly acknowledged this possibility, but then refused, in the  absence  of  any  evidence  that  naturalization  was necessarily  forthcoming,  to  assume  that  it  would  come  to pass. There was no abuse of discretion in the IJ s decision to take  into  account  the  speculative  nature  of  Khomyshyn s hopes for later adjustment, as well as the potentially lengthy time that would elapse while he waited.  For  these  reasons,  we  DENY  both  Calma s  petition  for review (No. 10 2795) and Khomyshyn s petition for review (No. 10 3973). 

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.