2010 Tennessee Code
Title 12 - Public Property, Printing And Contracts
Chapter 3 - Public Purchases
Part 8 - Tennessee Minority Owned, Women Owned and Small Business Procurement and Contracting
12-3-802 - Part definitions.
12-3-802. Part definitions.
As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Commissioner means the commissioner of general services;
(2) Department means the department of general services;
(3) Minority means a person who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States and who is:
(A) African American, a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa;
(B) Hispanic, a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race;
(C) Asian American, a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent, or the Pacific Islands; or
(D) Native American, a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North America;
(4) Minority owned business means a minority owned business that is a continuing, independent, for profit business that performs a commercially useful function, and is at least fifty-one percent (51%) owned and controlled by one (1) or more minority individuals who are impeded from normal entry into the economic mainstream because of past practices of discrimination based on race or ethnic background;
(5) Procurement and contracting means the procurement of equipment, supplies, personal services, professional services, consulting services, construction contracts, and architectural and engineering services;
(6) Small business means a business that is independently owned and operated, in accordance with the provisions of this part, and is not dominant in its field of operation;
(7) State agency means any department, office, institution of higher education, board, commission, or any other state agency that receives state funds; and
(8) Woman owned business means a woman owned business that is a continuing, independent, for profit business that performs a commercially useful function, and is at least fifty-one percent (51%) owned and controlled by one or more women; or, in the case of any publicly owned business, at least fifty-one percent (51%) of the stock of which is owned and controlled by one (1) or more women and whose management and daily business operations are under the control of one (1) or more women.
[Acts 1980, ch. 888, § 4; T.C.A., § 12-3-602; Acts 1988, ch. 818, § 2; 1993, ch. 488, § 2; 1994, ch. 767, § 3; 1994, ch. 981, § 1; 2004, ch. 569, § 1.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.