2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 5 - UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAYS
Section 56-5-710 - Powers of local authorities.
(A) Subject to the limitations prescribed in Section 56-5-930, the provisions of this chapter shall not be deemed to prevent local authorities with respect to streets and highways under their jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of the police power from:
(1) regulating the standing or parking of vehicles;
(2) regulating traffic by means of police officers or traffic control signals;
(3) regulating or prohibiting processions or assemblages on the highways;
(4) designating particular highways as one-way highways and requiring that all vehicles thereon be moved in one specific direction;
(5) regulating the speed of vehicles in public parks;
(6) designating any highway as a through highway and requiring that all vehicles stop before entering or crossing it or designating any intersection as a stop intersection and requiring all vehicles to stop at one or more entrances at such intersection;
(7) restricting the use of highways as authorized in Sections 56-5-4210 and 56-5-4220;
(8) regulating the operation of bicycles and requiring the registration and licensing of them, including the requirement of a registration fee;
(9) regulating or prohibiting the turning of vehicles or specified types of vehicles at intersections;
(10) altering the prima facie speed limits as authorized herein; or
(11) adopting such other traffic regulations as are specifically authorized by this chapter.
(B) Nothing in subsection (A) may be construed to permit a local authority to issue a uniform traffic citation for violating a local ordinance or the traffic laws relating to speeding or disregarding traffic control devices based in whole or in part upon photographic evidence whether gathered in conjunction with radar speed detection devices and whether the camera or other electronic device capturing the photographic evidence was attended or unattended at the time it captured the photographic evidence.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-282; 1952 Code Section 46-282; 1949 (46) 466; 2011 Act No. 65, Section 2, eff June 17, 2011.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.