2009 North Carolina Code
Chapter 55A - North Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act.
§ 55A-15-03. Application for certificate of authority.
§ 55A‑15‑03. Application for certificate of authority.
(a) A foreign corporation may apply for a certificate of authority to conduct affairs in this State by delivering an application to the Secretary of State for filing. The application shall set forth:
(1) The name of the foreign corporation or, if its name is unavailable for use in this State, a corporate name that satisfies the requirements of Article 3 of Chapter 55D of the General Statutes;
(2) The name of the state or country under whose law it is incorporated;
(3) Its date of incorporation and period of duration;
(4) The street address, and mailing address if different from the street address, of its principal office;
(5) The street address, and the mailing address if different from the street address, of its registered office in this State, the county in which the registered office is located, and the name of its registered agent at that office;
(6) The names and usual business addresses of its current officers; and
(7) Whether it has members.
(b) The foreign corporation shall deliver with the completed application a certificate of existence (or a document of similar import) duly authenticated by the Secretary of State or other official having custody of corporate records in the state or country under whose law it is incorporated.
(c) If the Secretary of State finds that the application conforms to law, the Secretary of State shall when all fees have been tended as prescribed in this Chapter:
(1) Endorse on the application and an exact or conformed copy thereof the word "filed" and the hour, day, month, and year of the filing thereof;
(2) File in the Secretary of State's office the application and the certificate of existence (or document of similar import as described in subsection (b) of this section);
(3) Issue a certificate of authority to conduct affairs in this State to which the Secretary of State shall affix the exact or conformed copy of the application; and
(4) Send to the foreign corporation or its representative the certificate of authority, together with the exact or conformed copy of the application affixed thereto. (1955, c. 1230; 1957, c. 979, s. 14; 1969, c. 875, s. 8; 1993, c. 398, s. 1; 2001‑358, s. 21; 2001‑387, ss. 169(b), 173, 175(a); 2001‑413, s. 6.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.