2006 New Mexico Statutes - Section 22-10A-9 — Teacher mentorship program for level one teachers; purpose; department duties.
22-10A-9. Teacher mentorship program for level one teachers; purpose; department duties.
A. The purpose of the teacher mentorship program is to provide beginning teachers with an effective transition into the teaching field, to build on their initial preparation and to ensure their success in teaching; to improve the achievement of students; and to retain capable teachers in the classroom and to remove teachers who show little promise of success.
B. The department shall develop a framework for a teacher mentorship program for all level one teachers. The department shall work with licensed school employees, representatives from teacher preparation programs and the commission on higher education [higher education department] to establish the framework.
C. The framework shall include:
(1) individual support and assistance for each beginning teacher from a designated mentor;
(2) structured training for mentors;
(3) an ongoing, formative evaluation that is used for the improvement of teaching practice;
(4) procedures for a summative evaluation of beginning teachers' performance during at least the first three years of teaching, including annual assessment of suitability for license renewal, and for final assessment of beginning teachers seeking level two licensure;
(5) support from local school boards, school administrators and other school district personnel; and
(6) regular review and evaluation of the teacher mentorship program.
D. The department shall:
(1) require submission and approval of each school district's teacher mentorship program;
(2) provide technical assistance to school districts that do not have a well-developed teacher mentorship program in place; and
(3) encourage school districts to collaborate with teacher preparation program administrators at institutions of higher education, career educators, educational organizations, regional service centers and other state and community leaders in the teacher mentorship program.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.