2009 Nebraska Code
Chapter 9 BINGO AND OTHER GAMBLING
9-627 Continuation of lottery; petition; election.
(1) The registered voters of any county, city, or village shall have the right to vote on the question of whether an existing lottery should be continued. The question shall be submitted to such voters whenever petitions calling for its submission, signed by at least twenty percent of the number of persons voting in the county, city, or village at the last preceding general election, are presented to the governing board of the county, city, or village.
(2) Upon receipt of the petitions provided under subsection (1) of this section, it shall be the duty of the governing board to submit the question at a special election to be held not less than thirty nor more than forty-five days after receipt of the petitions, except that if any other election is to be held in such county, city, or village within ninety days of receipt of the petitions, the governing board may provide for the holding of the lottery election on the same day.
(3) The governing board shall give notice of the submission of the question of whether an existing lottery should be continued, not more than twenty days nor less than ten days prior to the election, by publication one time in one or more newspapers published in or of general circulation in the county, city, or village in which such question is to be submitted. Such notice shall be in addition to any other notice required under the general election laws of this state.
(4) The question shall be submitted to the registered voters in the form provided in subsection (2) of section 9-626.
(5) A majority of the voters voting on the issue shall determine such issue. The vote shall be binding on the affected county, city, or village, and if the majority vote is to discontinue the lottery, such county, city, or village shall discontinue the lottery within sixty days of the certification of the election results.
Laws 1989, LB 767, § 67.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nebraska may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.