2006 Nebraska Code - § 28-1008 — Terms, defined.Section 28-1008
For purposes of sections 28-1008 to 28-1017:
(1) Abandon means to leave any animal for any length of time without making effective provision for its food, water, or other care as is reasonably necessary for the animal's health;
(2) Animal means any vertebrate member of the animal kingdom. The term does not include an uncaptured wild creature;
(3) Cruelly mistreat means to knowingly and intentionally kill, maim, disfigure, torture, beat, mutilate, burn, scald, or otherwise inflict harm upon any animal;
(4) Cruelly neglect means to fail to provide any animal in one's care, whether as owner or custodian, with food, water, or other care as is reasonably necessary for the animal's health;
(5) Humane killing means the destruction of an animal by a method which causes the animal a minimum of pain and suffering;
(6) Law enforcement officer means any member of the Nebraska State Patrol, any county or deputy sheriff, any member of the police force of any city or village, or any other public official authorized by a city or village to enforce state or local animal control laws, rules, regulations, or ordinances. Law enforcement officer also includes any inspector under the Commercial Dog and Cat Operator Inspection Act to the extent that such inspector may exercise the authority of a law enforcement officer under section 28-1012 while in the course of performing inspection activities under the Commercial Dog and Cat Operator Inspection Act; and
(7) Police animal means a horse or dog owned or controlled by the State of Nebraska for the purpose of assisting a Nebraska state trooper in the performance of his or her official enforcement duties.
- Commercial Dog and Cat Operator Inspection Act, see
- Laws 1990, LB 50, § 1
Laws 1995, LB 283, § 2
Laws 2003, LB 273, § 4
Laws 2006, LB 856, § 11.
~Revised Statutes Cumulative Supplement, 2006
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nebraska may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.