2006 Minnesota Code
Chapters 85 - 87A Recreation
Chapter 87A Shooting Range Protection Act
Section 87A.03 COMPLIANT RANGES; AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.
87A.03 COMPLIANT RANGES; AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.
Subdivision 1. Authorized activities. A shooting range that operates in compliance with
the shooting range performance standards must be permitted to do all of the following within its
geographic boundaries, under the same or different ownership or occupancy, if done in accordance
with shooting range performance standards:
(1) operate the range and conduct activities involving the discharge of firearms;
(2) expand or increase its membership or opportunities for public participation related to the
primary activity as a shooting range;
(3) make those repairs or improvements desirable to meet or exceed requirements of shooting
range performance standards;
(4) increase events and activities related to the primary activity as a shooting range;
(5) conduct shooting activities and discharge firearms daily between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00
p.m. A local unit of government with zoning jurisdiction over a shooting range may extend the
hours of operation by the issuance of a special or conditional use permit; and
(6) acquire additional lands to be used for buffer zones or noise mitigation efforts or to
otherwise comply with this chapter.
Subd. 2. Nonconforming use. A shooting range that is a nonconforming use shall be allowed
to conduct additional shooting activities within the range's lawful property boundaries as of the
date the range became a nonconforming use, provided the shooting range remains in compliance
with noise and shooting range performance standards under this chapter.
Subd. 3. Compliance with other law. Nothing in this section exempts any newly
constructed or remodeled building on a shooting range from compliance with fire safety, disability
accessibility, elevator safety, bleacher safety, or other provisions of the State Building Code
that have mandatory statewide application.
History: 2005 c 56 s 1; 2005 c 105 s 3
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Minnesota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.