2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 408 - LABOR
Act 154 of 1974 - MICHIGAN OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT (408.1001 - 408.1094)
Act 154 of 1974
AN ACT to prescribe and regulate working conditions; to prescribe the duties of employers and employees as to places and conditions of employment; to create certain boards, commissions, committees, and divisions relative to occupational and construction health and safety; to prescribe their powers and duties and powers and duties of the department of labor and department of public health; to prescribe certain powers and duties of the directors of the departments of labor, public health, and agriculture; to impose an annual levy to provide revenue for the safety education and training division; to provide remedies and penalties; to repeal certain acts and parts of acts; and to repeal certain acts and parts of act on specific dates.
History: 1974, Act 154, Eff. Jan. 1, 1975 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 80, Imd. Eff. Apr. 7, 1986 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 147, Imd. Eff. July 2, 1986
Compiler's Notes: In the last sentence of this title, “act” evidently should read “acts”.
- Section 408.1001 - Short title.
- Section 408.1002 - Scope of act; effect on statutory or common law.
- Section 408.1003 - Meanings of words and phrases.
- Section 408.1004 - Definitions; A to M.
- Section 408.1005 - Definitions; E to I.
- Section 408.1006 - Definitions; P to W.
- Section 408.1009 - Legislative declaration.
- Section 408.1011 - Duties of employer.
- Section 408.1012 - Duties of employee.
- Section 408.1013 - Administration and enforcement; reports.
- Section 408.1014 - Federal standards incorporated by reference; force and effect; conflicts; copies of standard; processing proposed rule substantially similar to federal standard; compliance with administrative procedures act of 1969.
- Section 408.1014a - Occupational safety and health hazard communication standard; incorporation by reference; applicability of standard; conflicting provisions; administration and enforcement of standards; duties of employers; exception.
- Section 408.1014b - Disclosure of specific chemical identity.
- Section 408.1014c - Identification of pipes and piping systems in workplace; establishment of pipe and stationary process container entry procedure; applicable provisions.
- Section 408.1014d - Trade secret claims; petition; review; confidentiality; determination; final order; revocation of order; hearing; exemption of records and information from disclosure under freedom of information act; providing director with specific chemical identity and percentage composition of hazardous chemical.
- Section 408.1014e - Public service announcements.
- Section 408.1014f - Employer engaged in agricultural operations; compliance; certifying list of chemicals.
- Section 408.1014g - Chemical in sealed package in transit by common carrier.
- Section 408.1014h - Employer engaged in construction operations.
- Section 408.1014i - Plan for executing responsibilities of organized fire department.
- Section 408.1014j - Signs throughout workplace; contents.
- Section 408.1014k - Material safety data sheets for hazardous chemicals in workplace; organization; training employees; notice of new or revised sheets.
- Section 408.1014 - Failure to provide exposed employee with access to most current material safety data sheet.
- Section 408.1014m - Conflicting provisions unenforceable.
- Section 408.1014n - Federal occupational safety and health field sanitation standard; incorporation by reference; effect; providing potable water, toilet facility, and hand washing facility for agricultural employees; administration and enforcement of incorporated standard; copies of standard.
- Section 408.1015 - General industry safety standards commission; creation; director of labor as secretary; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancy; election of chairman and officers; quorum; meetings; compensation and expenses.
- Section 408.1016 - Promulgation, expression, and adoption of standards by general industry safety standards commission.
- Section 408.1018 - Construction safety standards commission; creation; director of labor as secretary; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancy; quorum; meetings; election of chairman and officers; compensation and expenses.
- Section 408.1019 - Promulgation, expression, and adoption of standards by construction safety standards commission.
- Section 408.1021 - Continuation of safety standards; consulting with advisory committees as condition of promulgating proposed standard; selection, qualifications, compensation, and expenses of members; emergency standards; promulgation of approved standard.
- Section 408.1023 - Occupational health standards commission; creation; director of public health as secretary; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancy; quorum; meetings; election of chairman and officers; compensation and expenses.
- Section 408.1024 - Consulting with advisory committee as condition of promulgating proposed occupational health standard; selection, qualifications, compensation, and expenses of members; continuation of occupational health standards; adoption and promulgation of occupational health standard; requirements for standard; emergency standard; contents of standard; availability and costs of medical examination or test; religious objection.
- Section 408.1027 - Temporary order granting variance from standard; rule or order for variance from standard.
- Section 408.1028 - Violation of standard threatening physical harm; request for inspection; notice; determination; notification of condition presenting imminent danger; notification of violation of act or rule; inspection; confidentiality; procedures for informal review of decision; statement of final disposition; right to attend meetings.
- Section 408.1029 - Inspection and investigations; right of entry; warrant; witnesses; evidence; right of accompaniment; advance notice; tests and samples; evaluation; confidentiality of trade secrets; conference; liability for damages; discrimination prohibited; “wages and fringe benefits” defined.
- Section 408.1030 - Safety and health inspector at site of tunnel, shaft, caisson, or cofferdam; qualifications; powers and duties; cost of wages and fringe benefits; advising of and publishing regular and overtime rates; tunnel construction activity exceeding 60 hours per week; employer's responsibility not diminished.
- Section 408.1031 - Determination of imminent danger; notice; order; tagging equipment or process; removal of tag; on site review; recommendation; discrimination prohibited; noncompliance with order; petition to restrain condition or practice; action against department; response to imminent danger complaint; opportunity to identify, label, or provide material safety data sheet for container.
- Section 408.1033 - Citation for violation; issuance; contents; presentation; mailing; posting; notification of compliance; failure to correct violation; notice in place of citation; rules; vacating citation.
- Section 408.1035 - Violations; civil and criminal penalties; effective date of increases in civil penalties made pursuant to 1991 amendatory act.
- Section 408.1035a.added - Violations; civil and criminal penalties.
- Section 408.1036 - Civil penalties; assessment; schedule; payment; recovering unpaid penalty.
- Section 408.1037 - Evidence and investigation of criminal violation.
- Section 408.1041 - Granting additional time for compliance, modification, or dismissal of citation and penalty; petition; procedure; effect of failure to petition; action by department; notice; finality of decision; appeal to board.
- Section 408.1042 - Hearing; order; rules of procedure; report of hearing officer.
- Section 408.1043 - Hearing; conduct of proceedings.
- Section 408.1044 - Review of report of hearing officer; powers of board; order affirming or modifying abatement requirements; judicial review of order or standard.
- Section 408.1045 - Cease operation order; enforcement proceedings.
- Section 408.1046 - Board of health and safety compliance and appeals; creation; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; chairman; vacancy; scope of authority; meetings; quorum; prerequisite to official action; compensation and expenses; hearing; evidence; fees; rules; construction and application of identical state and federal standards.
- Section 408.1048 - Conducting business at public meeting; notice.
- Section 408.1052 - Department attorney as representative of departments, board, and commissions in litigation; board not considered party in judicial review proceeding.
- Section 408.1054 - Safety education and training division; creation; functions; newsletter; statement as to standard, rule, or order.
- Section 408.1055 - Safety education and training fund.
- Section 408.1056 - Occupational health education and training program.
- Section 408.1057-408.1058 - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Eff. June 17, 1994.
- Section 408.1058a-408.1058d - Repealed. 1988, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1988.
- Section 408.1058e - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Eff. June 17, 1994.
- Section 408.1058f - Repealed. 1990, Act 2, Imd. Eff. Feb. 12, 1990.
- Section 408.1059, 408.1059a - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Eff. June 17, 1994.
- Section 408.1059b - Repealed. 1988, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1988.
- Section 408.1059c-408.1059e - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Eff. June 17, 1994.
- Section 408.1059f - Repealed. 1988, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1988.
- Section 408.1060-408.1060d - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Eff. June 17, 1994.
- Section 408.1060e, 408.1060f - Repealed. 1991, Act 105, Imd. Eff. Oct. 3, 1991.
- Section 408.1061 - Records and reports; notice of fatalities or hospitalizations; access of employee to records; notice to employee of exposure and corrective action; federal requirements not negated.
- Section 408.1063 - Confidentiality of trade secrets; protection; information available to public; identity of employee exempt from disclosure.
- Section 408.1065 - Discharging or discriminating against employee prohibited; complaint; investigation; order; notice; review; finality of determination; parties; hearings officers; conduct of proceedings; determination as final disposition; judicial review; venue; civil action to enforce order; powers of director of labor.
- Section 408.1067 - Posting requirements; warning labels.
- Section 408.1069 - Rules; declaratory rulings; effect of standards adopted by reference or continued in effect.
- Section 408.1091 - Pending proceedings continued.
- Section 408.1093 - Repeal.
- Section 408.1094 - Effective date.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.