2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 36 — Organization of the exective branch
RS 36:742 — Powers and duties of secretary of state
§742. Powers and duties of secretary of state
In addition to the functions, powers, and duties otherwise vested in the secretary of state by law, he shall:
(1) Represent the public interest in the administration of this Chapter and shall be responsible to the legislature and the public therefor.
(2) Employ, appoint, remove, assign, and promote such personnel as is necessary for the efficient administration of the department.
(3) In accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act, make, alter, amend, and promulgate rules and regulations necessary for the administration and the functions of the department.
(4) Organize, plan, supervise, direct, administer, execute and be responsible for the functions and programs vested in the department.
(5) Make reports and recommendations on his own initiative or upon the request of the legislature, or any committee or member thereof.
(6) Provide for the ongoing reorganization and consolidation of the department and submit a report thereon to the legislature, which report shall accompany the budget statement which he submits under provisions of R.S. 39:45. Such report shall include a statement of the goals of the department and of the programs thereof and shall summarize the accomplishments of the department in meeting such goals and implementing such programs. The report shall also contain a specific statement of the reorganization and consolidation plan for the department for the next year and shall include a report on the implementation of such reorganization and consolidation plan for the previous year. The report concerning reorganization shall specifically detail the extent to which the department has achieved goals stated the previous year with respect to merger and consolidation of functions, consolidation of administrative and programmatic divisions of the department, elimination of job positions, and efficiency and economy in delivery of services. The report shall contain any recommendations with respect to reorganization which may require legislative action under the provisions of this Title. A copy of the report and recommended legislation shall also be submitted by the secretary of state to the presiding officer of both houses of the legislature. The presiding officer shall refer the report to the appropriate committee having jurisdiction of the subject matter as provided in the rules of the respective house.
(7) Be responsible for accounting and budget control, procurement and contract management, management and program analysis, data processing, personnel management, and grants management for the department.
(8) Investigate allegations of election irregularities.
(9) Do such other things, not inconsistent with law, as are necessary to perform properly the functions vested in him.
Added by Acts 1977, No. 83, §1, eff. June 22, 1977. Acts 1986, No. 740, §1; Acts 2004, No. 517, §1, eff. June 25, 2004.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.