2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 22:1510 — Definitions
PART XXXIII. DENTAL SERVICE CONTRACTORS
For the purposes of this Part, the following words and phrases shall be defined as follows:
(1) "Dentist" means any person lawfully licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Dentistry to practice dentistry in Louisiana.
(2) "Dental service contractor" means any person who accepts a prepayment from or for the benefit of any other person or group of persons as consideration for providing to such person or group of persons the opportunity to receive dental services at such times in the future as such services may be appropriate or required, but shall not be construed to include a dentist or professional dental corporation that accepts prepayment on a fee-for-service basis for providing specific dental services to individual patients for whom such services have been prediagnosed. Nothing in Paragraph 2 of this Section shall apply to a funded or self-funded trust qualified with the United States Department of Labor in accordance with Public Law 93-406.
(3) "Participant" means a dentist who has contracted with a dental service contractor to accept from and to look solely to such contractor for payment for any health care services rendered to a subscriber, subject to any co-payment obligations included in the contract of the subscriber with the dental service contractor.
(4) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of insurance of the state of Louisiana.
(5) "Subscriber" means any person by or for whom a dental service contractor is paid a periodic premium as prepayment for dental services to be rendered to him by a participant.
(6) "Person" means an individual, insurer, association, organization, partnership, business, trust, except E.R.I.S.A. trusts qualified with the United States Department of Labor under Public Law 93-406, corporation, or other legal entity.
Added by Acts 1981, No. 461, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.