2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 22:1405.1 — Board of review; membership; authority
§1405.1. Board of review; membership; authority
A. A board of review shall be established within the Department of Insurance to review public fire protection grading issued by the Property Insurance Association of Louisiana when a request for review is properly submitted. The board of review shall be composed of the following membership, each member to be chosen by the specified organization from its membership, unless otherwise indicated:
(1) One member from the Louisiana Fire Chiefs Association.
(2) One member from the Louisiana Municipal Association.
(3) One member from the American Water Works Association, Southwest Section, who shall be a Louisiana member with experience in public fire protection.
(4) One member from the Louisiana Association of Public Safety Communications Officers.
(5) One member who is an employee of the Louisiana Department of Insurance chosen by the commissioner of insurance.
B. A member of the board shall be elected by its membership as chairman for a term of one year.
C.(1) The initial member from the Louisiana Fire Chiefs Association and the initial member from the Louisiana Municipal Association shall each serve a term of three years; the initial member from the American Water Works Association, Southwest Section, shall serve a term of two years; and the initial member from the Louisiana Association of Public Safety Communications Officers shall serve a term of one year. Thereafter, such members shall serve a term of four years and no member shall serve more than two successive four-year terms.
(2) The member chosen by the commissioner of insurance shall serve a term concurrent with that of the commissioner making the appointment.
(3) If a member is unable to serve after being chosen by an organization, then another member from that organization shall be chosen after written notice of the vacancy and the reason for such vacancy is given to the other members of the board and the commissioner of insurance. The organization shall notify all members of the board and the commissioner of insurance of the new appointment.
D. Three members of the board shall constitute a quorum. No board member shall act in any case in which he has a personal pecuniary interest.
E. All decisions of the board shall include written reasons for the decisions. The vote of each member participating shall be recorded. The chairman shall only vote in the event of a tie.
F. The board shall establish rules and regulations for its own procedures not inconsistent with the provisions of the Louisiana Administrative Procedure Act (R.S. 49:951 et seq.). The board shall meet as determined by the chairman, but in any event, the board shall meet within ninety days after a proper request for review has been received. The board shall issue a decision within a period of ninety days after the board meets on such matter. The board shall meet in the public fire protection area for which a request for review has been filed.
G. The board of review shall have the authority to suspend a detrimental change in a public fire protection classification from the date a proper request for review is received until appropriate action is completed after a written decision has been issued. Upon completion of a hearing and review, the board shall instruct the Property Insurance Association of Louisiana to either reevaluate the public fire protection grading in accordance with its decision or impose the original public fire protection grading.
Acts 2006, No. 809, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.