2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 11:3602 — Board of directors; composition
§3602. Board of directors; composition
A. The fund shall be under the control and management of and shall be administered by a board of directors of nine members composed as follows:
(1) The mayor, or the chief executive of the city.
(2) The director of administration, or finance officer of the city, who shall be the treasurer thereof.
(3) Five active members of the police department of the city of Lafayette, who must have served at least one year in the department before they shall be eligible to serve on the board. The five members herein provided for shall be elected by the police department as hereinafter set forth, one of which shall be designated as secretary of the board.
(4) Two members elected from the rank of the retired members of the police department. Only those members of the board elected or appointed from the active ranks of the department shall have the right to vote on any proposal to increase the assessment levied against the salary of each member of the police force as provided by R.S. 11:3606.
(5) The president, vice president, and secretary of the board shall be chosen by a majority vote of the members of the board and shall be elected for a two-year term.
B. The five members to be selected from the police department to serve on the board of directors shall be elected by secret ballot of the active members of the police department. No policeman shall be eligible to vote unless he is a member of the police department, and is participating in the fund, at the time of the election. The first election shall be held within fifteen days after September 12, 1975, and thereafter the elections shall be held every two years during the same month that the first election was held.
C. By majority vote of the board, the police chief may be allowed to attend and participate in all meetings of the board in a nonvoting capacity. Should the police chief be duly elected to serve as a board member, he shall enjoy all voting and other rights of directors.
D. The vice president of the board of directors shall call the election, and shall provide for the manner in which it shall be conducted. In case of a vacancy on the board of directors, a special election shall be called to fill such vacancy by the vice president of the board within a period of thirty days after the vacancy occurs.
E. All members of the board of directors shall serve until the end of the term for which they are elected, or until their successors have been duly elected and qualified.
Added by Acts 1975, No. 549, §1; Redesignated from R.S. 33:2385.1 by Acts 1991, No. 74, §3, eff. June 25, 1991.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.