2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 12:416 — Conversion of existing corporations
§416. Conversion of existing corporations
Any corporation organized under the laws of this state for the purpose, among others, of supplying electric energy may be converted into a cooperative and become subject to this Part with the same effect as if originally organized under this Part by complying with the following requirements:
A. The proposition for the conversion of such corporation into a cooperative and proposed articles of conversion to give effect thereto shall be first approved by the board of directors of such corporation. The proposed articles of conversion shall recite in the caption that they are executed pursuant to this Part and shall state:
(1) The name of the corporation prior to its conversion into a cooperative;
(2) The address of the principal office of such corporation;
(3) The date of the filing of the articles of incorporation of such corporation in the office of the Secretary of State;
(4) The statute or statutes under which such corporation was organized;
(5) The name assumed by such corporation;
(6) A statement that such corporation elects to become a cooperative, subject to this Part;
(7) The names and addresses of the persons who shall constitute the first board of directors of the converted corporation upon filing of the articles of conversion;
(8) The manner and basis of converting memberships in or shares of stock of such corporation into memberships therein after completion of the conversion; and
(9) Any provisions not inconsistent with this Part deemed necessary or advisable for the conduct of the business and affairs of such corporation.
B. The proposition for the conversion of such corporation into a cooperative and the proposed articles of conversion approved by the board of directors of such corporation shall then be submitted to a vote of the members or stockholders, as the case may be, of such corporation at any duly held annual or special meeting thereof, the notice of which shall set forth full particulars concerning the proposed conversion. The proposition for the conversion of such corporation into a cooperative and the proposed articles of conversion, with such amendments thereto as the members or stockholders of such corporation shall choose to make, shall be deemed to be approved upon the affirmative vote of not less than two-thirds of those members of such corporation voting thereon at such meeting, or, if such corporation is a stock corporation, upon the affirmative vote of the holders of not less than two-thirds of the capital stock of such corporation represented at such meeting.
C. Upon such approval by the members or stockholders of such corporation, articles of conversion in the form approved by such members or stockholders shall be executed by authentic act on behalf of such corporation by its president or vice-president and its corporate seal shall be affixed thereto and attested by its secretary. The president or vice-president executing such articles of conversion on behalf of such corporation shall also make and annex thereto an affidavit stating that the provisions of this Section with respect to the approval of its trustees or directors and its members or stockholders of the proposition for the conversion of such corporation into a cooperative and such articles of conversion were duly complied with. Such articles of conversion and affidavit shall be submitted to the Secretary of State for filing as provided in this Part. The term "articles of incorporation" as used in this Part shall be deemed to include the articles of conversion of a converted corporation.
Renumbered from R.S.1950, §12:316 by Acts 1968, No. 105, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1969.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.