2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 15:1110 — Licensing standards
PART XI-A. JUVENILE DETENTION STANDARDS AND
§1110. Licensing standards
A. The single state entity created pursuant to R.S. 46:2757 shall develop and recommend uniform standards and licensing procedures for local juvenile detention facilities. These standards should comport with nationally recognized and accepted standards for practice within the local juvenile detention facilities. The uniform standards and licensing procedures shall address, but not be limited to the following areas:
(1) Operational requirements.
(2) Staff qualifications and training of local juvenile detention staff, which shall include educational programs designed to improve the quality of services and specific training in recognizing and reporting of child abuse and neglect.
(3) The ratio of staff to children in each local juvenile detention facility.
(4) Policies for admission, transfer, discharge, aftercare supervision, and follow-up services appropriate to the needs of the child.
(5) Standards of care, including provisions to administer any early, periodic screening, diagnosis, and treatment program and to treat appropriately any condition revealed by screening.
(6) Treatment needs for those with substance abuse disabilities.
(7) Standards to assure a safe, humane, and caring environment.
(8) Access to required programs and services, including educational services.
(9) A risk and needs assessment for each child, including criteria for the placement of a child in a particular local juvenile detention center or in a nonsecure alternative.
(10) Criteria for determining population limits for each local juvenile detention facility which may not be exceeded except in emergency circumstances during which time staffing ratios and levels of services must be maintained.
(11) Competency and character development to assist children in becoming responsible and productive members of society.
(12) The accountability of the child to the victim and the community for offenses committed.
(13) Procedures to provide a program of treatment, training, and rehabilitation consistent with the child's best interests and the protection of public interest.
(14) The rights of children in a local juvenile detention facility, which shall include provisions relative to the right to privacy, visitors, use of telephones, and mail delivery.
(15) Procedures for reporting complaints.
(16) Prohibitions against the use of excessive force against a child.
(17) Internal auditing and monitoring of local programs and facilities in the juvenile justice system, including compliance with all regulations and procedures.
(18) Such other regulations or standards that will ensure proper care and treatment of children as may be deemed necessary for the effective administration of local juvenile detention facilities.
B. All agencies, departments, offices, and institutions of the state, including the state universities and the community and technical colleges, shall cooperate in developing and implementing these standards.
C. For purposes of this Part, detention includes detention of a child both before and after adjudication.
Acts 2003, No. 1225, §2.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.