2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 17:3385 — Cessation of regionally accredited institutions of higher education; notification; preservation of student records
§3385. Cessation of regionally accredited institutions of higher education; notification; preservation of student records
A. Except as provided in Subsection B of this Section, at least ninety days prior to any regionally accredited institution of higher education ceasing to function as an institution of higher education, the chief executive officer of the institution shall:
(1) Notify the Board of Regents of the intention to cease the institution's operations as an institution of higher education and to include in such notification the anticipated date of cessation.
(2) Designate an organization with which the institution has made arrangements to serve as the repository for the institution's student records and notify the Board of Regents of the name, telephone number, and address of the organization.
(3) Make whatever arrangements with the organization designated to serve as a repository for student records as are necessary to assure that:
(a) Every student record or a legible copy thereof is transported to the designated organization not more than ten days following the day the institution ceases to operate as an institution of higher education.
(b) Each student's record once under the control of the designated repository is preserved in a manner which insures that the records are continually available to:
(i) Each former student for the ordering of transcripts or any other legitimate purpose.
(ii) The appropriate state agency for audit of any state program for aid to institutions or students. Such records shall be maintained within the boundaries of the state until the appropriate state agency has had a reasonable opportunity to conduct such an audit.
(iii) For any other purpose required by law.
B. Whenever the decision to cease to operate a regionally accredited institution of higher education is reached by the governing authority of such institution less than ninety days from the anticipated date of cessation, the chief executive officer of such institution shall provide the notifications required in Subsection A of this Section within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the decision.
C. For the purposes of this Section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Arrangements" means any contract or other agreement, compensated or otherwise, which requires the repository organization to perform the functions as prescribed in Paragraph (3) of Subsection A of this Section.
(2) "Organization" means any governmental agency, office, or department; public or independent institution of higher education; or, any profit or nonprofit enterprise or business.
(3) "Student record" means any record that contains an indication of academic achievement, registration, or attendance of any student that has ever attended the institution of higher education which is ceasing operations. Such records may be preserved in the original or in any copy form, including microfilm, which is true and accurate and may readily be used for reproduction.
Acts 1984, No. 248, §1, eff. June 30, 1984.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.