2006 Kansas Code - 45-220
45-220. Procedures for obtaining access to or copies of records; request; office hours; provision of information on procedures. (a) Each public agency shall adopt procedures to be followed in requesting access to and obtaining copies of public records, which procedures shall provide full access to public records, protect public records from damage and disorganization, prevent excessive disruption of the agency's essential functions, provide assistance and information upon request and insure efficient and timely action in response to applications for inspection of public records.
(b) A public agency may require a written request for inspection of public records but shall not otherwise require a request to be made in any particular form. Except as otherwise provided by subsection (c), a public agency shall not require that a request contain more information than the requester's name and address and the information necessary to ascertain the records to which the requester desires access and the requester's right of access to the records. A public agency may require proof of identity of any person requesting access to a public record. No request shall be returned, delayed or denied because of any technicality unless it is impossible to determine the records to which the requester desires access.
(c) If access to public records of an agency or the purpose for which the records may be used is limited pursuant to K.S.A. 45-221 or K.S.A. 2005 Supp. 45-230, and amendments thereto, the agency may require a person requesting the records or information therein to provide written certification that:
(1) The requester has a right of access to the records and the basis of that right; or
(2) the requester does not intend to, and will not: (A) Use any list of names or addresses contained in or derived from the records or information for the purpose of selling or offering for sale any property or service to any person listed or to any person who resides at any address listed; or (B) sell, give or otherwise make available to any person any list of names or addresses contained in or derived from the records or information for the purpose of allowing that person to sell or offer for sale any property or service to any person listed or to any person who resides at any address listed.
(d) A public agency shall establish, for business days when it does not maintain regular office hours, reasonable hours when persons may inspect and obtain copies of the agency's records. The public agency may require that any person desiring to inspect or obtain copies of the agency's records during such hours so notify the agency, but such notice shall not be required to be in writing and shall not be required to be given more than 24 hours prior to the hours established for inspection and obtaining copies.
(e) Each official custodian of public records shall designate such persons as necessary to carry out the duties of custodian under this act and shall ensure that a custodian is available during regular business hours of the public agency to carry out such duties.
(f) Each public agency shall provide, upon request of any person, the following information:
(1) The principal office of the agency, its regular office hours and any additional hours established by the agency pursuant to subsection (c).
(2) The title and address of the official custodian of the agency's records and of any other custodian who is ordinarily available to act on requests made at the location where the information is displayed.
(3) The fees, if any, charged for access to or copies of the agency's records.
(4) The procedures to be followed in requesting access to and obtaining copies of the agency's records, including procedures for giving notice of a desire to inspect or obtain copies of records during hours established by the agency pursuant to subsection (c).
History: L. 1984, ch. 187, § 6; L. 1984, ch. 282, §3; L. 2003, ch. 126, § 2; July 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.