2006 Kansas Code - 12-1262

      12-1262.   Same; governing body; appointment; term; vacancies; expenses of members. (a) Any library district created pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 12-1261 shall be governed by a board of trustees. Such board shall consist of 10 members. Seven members shall be appointed by the governing body of the city and shall be residents of the city. Three members shall be appointed by the board of county commissioners. Members appointed by the board of county commissioners shall be residents of the library district, who reside outside the corporate limits of the city and each shall reside in a different commissioner district.

      (b)   Members of the board of directors of the Topeka public library serving prior to the election creating the library district shall continue on the board until the expiration of the term for which originally appointed. Such members shall be eligible for reappointment. The board of county commissioners shall appoint three members to the library board within 60 days following the election approving the creation of the district. Such members shall serve for terms expiring the second April 30 following the date of appointment. Upon expiration of the terms of such members, succeeding members shall be appointed for terms of four years.

      (c)   Except as provided by this section, members of the board shall be appointed for terms of four years and until their successors are appointed and qualified. Vacancies on the board shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term.

      (d)   Members of the library board shall receive no compensation but shall be paid their actual and necessary expenses in attending meetings and in carrying out their duties as members of the board.

      History:   L. 1992, ch. 133, § 3; July 1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.