2013 Florida Statutes
TITLE XLVIII - K-20 EDUCATION CODE
Chapter 1009 - EDUCATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS, FEES, AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Part III - FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE (ss. 1009.40-1009.96)
Subpart B - Scholarships, Grants, and Other Aid
1009.56 - Seminole and Miccosukee Indian Scholarships.
1009.56 Seminole and Miccosukee Indian Scholarships.—
(1) There is created a Seminole and Miccosukee Indian Scholarship Program to be administered by the Department of Education in accordance with rules established by the State Board of Education. The Seminole Tribe of Florida and the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida shall act in an advisory capacity in the development of the rules.
(2) The department shall award scholarships to students who:
(a) Have graduated from high school, have earned an equivalency diploma issued by the Department of Education pursuant to s. 1003.435, have earned an equivalency diploma issued by the United States Armed Forces Institute, or have been accepted through an early admission program;
(b) Are enrolled at a state university or Florida College System institution authorized by Florida law; a nursing diploma school approved by the Board of Nursing; any Florida college or university, which is accredited by an accrediting association whose standards are comparable to the minimum standards required to operate an institution at that level in Florida, as determined by rules of the Commission for Independent Education; or any Florida institution the credits of which are acceptable for transfer to state universities;
(c) Are enrolled as either full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate students and make satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college or university;
(d) Have been recommended by the Seminole Tribe of Florida or the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida; and
(e) Meet the general requirements for student eligibility as provided in s. 1009.40, except as otherwise provided in this section.
(3) Recommendation by the Seminole Tribe of Florida or the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida shall:
(a) Be based upon established standards of financial need as determined by the respective tribe and the department;
(b) Be based upon such other eligibility requirements for student financial assistance as are adopted by the respective tribe; and
(c) Include certification of membership or eligibility for membership in the Seminole Tribe of Florida or the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida.
(4) The amount of the scholarship shall be determined by the Seminole Tribe of Florida or the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida, for its respective applicants, within the amount of funds appropriated for this purpose. The amount shall be prorated accordingly for part-time students. At the beginning of each semester or quarter, the department shall certify the name of each scholarship holder eligible to receive funds for that registration period to the Chief Financial Officer, who shall draw a warrant in favor of each scholarship recipient. Each recipient shall be eligible to have the scholarship renewed from year to year, provided all academic and other requirements of the college or university and rules established by the State Board of Education are met.
(5) The Commissioner of Education shall include amounts sufficient for continuation of this program in the legislative budget requests of the department.
(6) Funds appropriated by the Legislature for the program shall be deposited in the State Student Financial Assistance Trust Fund.
(7) Funding for the program shall be as provided in the General Appropriations Act.
History.—s. 434, ch. 2002-387; s. 1957, ch. 2003-261; s. 135, ch. 2011-5; s. 22, ch. 2011-63.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Florida may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.