2009 Florida Code
TITLE XXXVII INSURANCE
Chapter 627 INSURANCE RATES AND CONTRACTS
PART XIX PURCHASING GROUPS AND RISK RETENTION GROUPS (ss. 627.941-627.955)
627.943 Risk retention groups certified in Florida.
627.943 Risk retention groups certified in Florida.--
(1) A risk retention group seeking to be certified in this state shall first obtain a permit pursuant to chapter 628. The risk retention group shall then be organized as a limited liability association or corporation under the laws of this state and shall obtain and maintain a certificate of authority as a domestic insurer authorized to write only liability insurance by the Florida Insurance Code and, except as provided elsewhere in this part, shall comply with all of the provisions of the Florida Insurance Code, rules, statutes, and other laws applicable to domestic liability insurers, including requirements governing the use of agents, and with the provisions of s. 627.944 to the extent the provisions of s. 627.944 are not a limitation on the applicable provisions of the Florida Insurance Code and related rules or other statutory or legal requirements of this state.
(2) Before it may offer insurance in any state, each risk retention group shall also submit for approval to the office a plan of operation or a feasibility study. Before additional lines of liability insurance are offered in this or any other state approval shall be obtained from the office.
(3) A proposed risk retention group shall provide to the office a summary of the application for a certificate of authority at the time it files the application. The summary information shall include the name of the risk retention group, the identity of those individuals who organized the group or who will provide administrative services or otherwise influence or control the activities of the group, the amount and nature of initial capitalization, and the states in which the group intends to operate. A copy of the summary shall be provided by the office to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(4) Domestic risk retention groups shall be subject to all taxes imposed on domestic insurers.
(5) Domestic risk retention groups shall be subject to the provisions of s. 627.944(7), (8), and (9).
History.--ss. 2, 5, ch. 87-282; s. 114, ch. 92-318; s. 1245, ch. 2003-261.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Florida may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.